Moving To Europe With Rx350

I moved my RX350, 2009, to Italy a few months ago. Various searches on this and other forums were helpful in answering some questions I had, so I thought I'd write a short report on some of the issues I faced (and how they were solved) in case anyone else is going through the process.

First, I'd say that Lexus North America and Lexus Europe operate as different companies and there appears to be little coordination between them. I believe most RXs made for North America come from Toyota's Cambridge, Ontario plant and most RXs in Europe are imported from Japan. What does this mean? Some slight changes (from what I can see) between the two vehicles mechanically; but a big change in how the Navigation System works. It is technically impossible to input a European DVD into the North American reader and have access to European maps.

This is a real shame. There are workarounds, but you have to enter the grey market and purchase a DVD which will upload cracked European maps to your North American system. Not an ideal situation. And frustrating, as I am prepared to buy full European maps, but am not prepared to rip out my nav reader to install a european one that may, or may not, play nicely with the rest of the operating system.

Second, fuel octane ratings in Europe are higher than in North America. 'Regular' unleaded gas comes in about 91 octane and the 'super' goes around 100 octane. There is no need to buy 'premium' fuel for a North American vehicle in Europe. The regular (at least in my case, Italian) gasoline is more than adequate. And given the much higher cost of gasoline in Europe...you should consider it 'premium' in any case.

Third, oil changes are less frequent. Lexus dealer infomed me that new standards by Lexus involves synthetic oil and an oil and filter change every 15,000 kilometres (or approx 9500 miles).

Finally, it is a bit unnerving and exhilirating to take the RX on the autostrade and be legal going at 130km/h (80 mp/h) and being passed on a regular basis like I was standing still. There is a different understanding of 'safe' highway speeds here.

That's it for now, happy to answer any questions that I can.