450H Awd Vs Ice Awd?

My wife is considering either an Rx350 or 450h (Both 2012). We get a fair bit of snow. Are there noticeable differences in the AWD performance of these? Does the 450h handle snow as well as ICE? Any other cold weather differences between these?

Thanks,

I'd be surprise if there is noticeable diference between the 350 and the 400h as far as AWD goes.

In my opinion, the RX series in general handle both Ice and snow fairly well, depending on your winter rubber. Also I find that the ground clearance is not all that great, I have been almost stuck in my RX snow boarding, when the cleaners hadn't got out to the lot yet, and I had to plow trhough it. But other than that I've been good to go.

Over all considering the vehicle, it does well.

have you asked the dealer that question. i love my 06 400h and it does well in the limited snow and ice in seattle, however i seem to remember the 2012 model rx350 might have some 4wd improvments the previous models didnt have, i dont know if they carry over onto the hybrid. do you use winter tires and studs?

My wife is considering either an Rx350 or 450h (Both 2012). We get a fair bit of snow. Are there noticeable differences in the AWD performance of these? Does the 450h handle snow as well as ICE? Any other cold weather differences between these?

Thanks,

IMO, both are great AWD vehicles. Either one would be a good choice. However, "Bainzey" makes a good point. The tires/tread you have on the ground are going to make all the difference in the world when it comes to snow and ice. AWD or not, the tire choice on my car keeps me out of the ditch. I don't know what their shipping the RX with as OEM tires. However, if you want something else, most dealers will swap out the ones that cames on the RX for the new ones you want. A search of the forum will give you a lot of information on different tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

One would think that since the RXh has no mechanical F/R connection, thereby no driveline windup issue, the RXh firmware rear drive coupling implementation would be a lot more "robust", higher and more consistent rear drive coupling. But with the RXh that's strictly a firmware implemetation issue, so who knows. I do know/think that if you could find a way to "simulate" front wheelspin/slip the rear drive would get coupled in pretty instantly.

Where I in control of writing/composing the firmware specifications for the RXh's "F/awd" functionality the torque distribution would would be 50/50 F/R during straight ahead acceleration, linearly, incrementally, reduced to 0/100 as lateral, directional control, forces increase. 0/100 F/R for simply cruising along.

So much for dreaming...

On the other hand with the RX's F/awd system what you get in the latter instance is simultaneous INSTANT DBW engine dethrottling. Luckily you will have a Trac...VSC disable capability to use when the F/awd system fails your need.

Personally I would go with the non-hybrid F/awd for my wife's wintertime driving safety. You could/can add a dual function switch to enable or disable the rear drive clutch "at will". There is absolutely no reason for continually stressing (over stressing??) the driveline on perfectly tractive surfaces as the system will do if left to itsself. So I would open the rear drive clutch circuit unless operating on a suspected or KNOWN low traction surface. Conversely when operating on a KNOWN low traction, slippery, surface, no issue of driveline windup, I would want the rear drive clutch continuously, FULLY, engaged. If I could find a rear diff'l ring and pinion that would fit and that had a slightlly different,"overdrive", ratio so much the better. In that case torque level distribution could be as high as 30/70 with the rear clutch fully engaged.

My wife is considering either an Rx350 or 50F (Both 2012). We get a fair bit of snow. Are there noticeable differences in the AWD performance of these? Does the 450h handle snow as well as ICE? Any other cold weather differences between these?

Thanks,

Other considerations...

Wintertime FE gains of the RXh vs RX450 can be pretty poor in comparison to summertime use. The need for ICE running for heating YOU and the catalyst, regen system compromised by slippery conditions and in sub-freezing temperatures all add up. If left to it's own the RXh will probably run the A/C 24/7 making matters even worse. Luckily both the RX and RXh have the ability to over-ride the A/C use. Also, the FE advantage of the RXh virtually disappears for hwy cruising, real RXh FE gains are only for city stop and go driving wherein regen energy recovery yields a significant return.