Rx350 Sluggish/slow Compared To Highlander/kluger V6 Awd

hi all

have had my 2007 RX 350 AWD for about a year now.

Recently I had a rental 2010 Toyota Kluger (Highlander) AWD automatic and found that it was much quicker in acceleration, as well as in overtaking!

I can't understand why as the specs show that the Highlander's body weight is higher, and it uses the same engine and transmission.

My RX350 feels like a slug, especially when the AC is on. The Highlander felt more responsive, even with the AC on.

Has anyone else compared the two?

Satz

hi all

have had my 2007 RX 350 AWD for about a year now.

Recently I had a rental 2010 Toyota Kluger (Highlander) AWD automatic and found that it was much quicker in acceleration, as well as in overtaking!

I can't understand why as the specs show that the Highlander's body weight is higher, and it uses the same engine and transmission.

My RX350 feels like a slug, especially when the AC is on. The Highlander felt more responsive, even with the AC on.

Has anyone else compared the two?

Satz

Both are DBW which allows "metering", detuning, of the engine HP during low speed acceleration, HARD/heavy acceleration. Detuning, typically only 1st and 2nd gears, the period of time/use wherein loss of traction is most likely to occur thereby raising the potential for loss of direction control. FWD Cadillac's with the high HP/torque NorthStar engine used this technique for many years before switching back to RWD.

The primary difference might be due to the 2010 switch to a much more functional "AWD" system. I know this was done for the Venza and the 2010 RX350 but I'm not sure of the HL. Being able to proactively couple in the rear drive during low speed acceleration would clearly allow for less detuning of the engine during those periods.

There is an indication that at least some of todays FWD/"AWD" vehicles that use the Trac braking to apportion torque to the rear detune the engine to an even greater level if/when the OAT is low enough, sub-freezing, to raise the potential for low traction, slippery, conditions. Ford even has a US patent which addresses this technique.

one of the more annoying characteristics I've foudn with my car is its non-linear response to the pressing of the throttle pedal.

In fact, non just non-linear, but non-predictable.

Sometimes nothing happens with the initial half travel of the pedal, which can get dangerous when overtaking or crossing intersections. Not much response until you floor the pedal, which is not how it was on the Highlander AWD.

The Highlander responded well to light pressing of the accelerator.

one of the more annoying characteristics I've foudn with my car is its non-linear response to the pressing of the throttle pedal.

Sometimes nothing happens with the initial half travel of the pedal, which can get dangerous when overtaking or crossing intersections. Not much response until you floor the pedal, which is not how it was on the Highlander AWD.

"..sometimes nothing happens..."

That's because the DBW system is "protecting the drive train".

You are undoubtedly experiencing the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay, SOP.

• 1 month later...

You are undoubtedly experiencing the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay, SOP.

May be SOP, but I agree with Satz; none-the-less, still quite annoying..

May be SOP, but I agree with Satz; none-the-less, still quite annoying..

Yes, annoying, but in certain situations just downright DANGEROUS.

• 4 weeks later...

Totally agree about the dangerous aspect of this! It seems like FOREVER before it responds. Worst part is, the mo slippery it is, the less reactive it is. So if I need to get the he'll out of the way of someone, not only am I too slow, but with it being slippery, they are going to be less able to react and slow down for me.

I just traded in my Honda Pilot. It had a similar Traction Control System, but you could turn it off. Is there NO WAY to turn the TRAC off of the Lexus?????

Totally agree about the dangerous aspect of this! It seems like FOREVER before it responds. Worst part is, the mo slippery it is, the less reactive it is. So if I need to get the he'll out of the way of someone, not only am I too slow, but with it being slippery, they are going to be less able to react and slow down for me.

I just traded in my Honda Pilot. It had a similar Traction Control System, but you could turn it off. Is there NO WAY to turn the TRAC off of the Lexus?????

You bought a "base" FWD vehicle, so just what did you expect..?

FWD, base FWD/AWD, patently UNSAFE in adverse weather/roadbed conditions.

Yes, if even the slightest level of "driven" wheel, front by default, wheelspin/slip is detected the rear drive clutch (2010 and after) will be instantly decoupled, the engine will also be INSTANTLY dethrottled, while the "driven", front wheels, are returned to a tractive condition using "moderate", PWM, braking.

As a safety matter once front wheelspin/slip is detected it is of the UTMOST importance to return those wheels/tires to a tractive state. Otherwise loss of directional control will be a real threat. Just exactly why ABS become such as important matter back when technology first made it possible, relatively inexpensively possible.

But yes, later model year Lexus FWD vehicles have the ability to turn off traction control and VSC.