Es300 Struts Question

nickm11

Hi

I have a 95 ES300 with about 120k miles. I need to put about $3000 into putting the car back in top shape. The engine and trans seems to be in good shape, but I need rear struts and a couple of bolts are broken on my front struts. The drivers seat foam needs to be redone along with a few other things. I'd buy a new car, but I cant seem to fall in love with anything in my price range (under $30K).

My questions:

Since factory struts would run me over $1100 and factory rears struts about $500, are there any non factory struts that would give me close to the same ride as factory?

I dont yet need struts for the front, can I just replace the broken front bolts or does it cost almost the same to just replace the front struts?

At any rate, I dont plan on keeping the car if I can find something new I want to buy, but I'll probably wait till next year.

Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated, Thanx

The first place I looked, I found OEM rear shock absorbers for your 1995 ES300 for $129.89 each ... but I have no experience with this particular parts website.

I noticed that http://www.toyodiy.com says that the 95 ES front shocks are the same as for the 95 Camry V6. I can't testify for the accuracy of the information on these websites.

Edit: The same parts website lists OEM front shock absorbers at $115.33 each.

post-2157-0-35726800-1321200777_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-26513800-1321200788_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-75591200-1321200804_thumb.jp

I'll be replacing my struts fairly soon. I'll be using either Monroe quick struts or, if available, kyb quickstruts. Stock ride is far too soft for me, from what I have found online either the Monroe or KYB struts will tighten the ride up without taking away from the ride quality.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my repair guys uses KYB struts. I read a post on the board, one guy wasnt real happy with the stiffer feel of the KYB. Anyone else have experience with KYB on his Lexus?

I know they have the standard and the more expensive adjustable gas KYB's, so please state which struts you have.

Thanx

• 3 weeks later...

I had my front and rear struts replaced recently on my wife's 94 ES300 after 140,000 miles. I bought the standard (non-adjustable) KYB brand struts. They feel great. And, they were about half the price of Lexus OEM parts. I would also highly recommend replacing all four upper strut mounts and strut dust boots while you have everything disassembled. The front upper strut mounts have pivot bearings in them that can cause front end noises and play when worn. Other suspension items that wear out and make noises are the front lower control arm bushings. A good mechanic can easily show you if there is excessive play by using a pry bar to check for sloppy (rubber) bushings. While you are at it have the mechanic check all of the rear suspension bushings as well for slop. And when you are all done, I would recommend a four wheel alignment to assure the best performance of all related parts and to maximize tire life. My wife’s ES300 rides like new now with no bottoming out in the rear and no other suspension noises. Maintaining a Lexus is not cheap if you can not do all your own work, but for us it was well worth the extra cost to improve the ride and eliminate the suspension noises.

Good luck,

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Use quick struts. They include the spring, the mounts, which also go bad. Not to mention it will be easier to do, much less time and work (no spring compressor needed!)

They only list rear struts for the V6 Camry and ES300, and they are very expensive. So instead, I plan on using the quick struts for the four-cylinder Camry (cheaper, more brands available too). I don't really think this will be a problem because I know that the 5S-FE is only about 10 lb lighter than the 1MZ-FE. eBay has all four for under $400, and Rock Auto has Raybestos brand quick struts for about $500 (for all four).

Unfortunately KYB quick struts are only available for the XV20 third-gen ES300/fourth-gen Camry.

Use quick struts. They include the spring, the mounts, which also go bad. Not to mention it will be easier to do, much less time and work (no spring compressor needed!)

They only list rear struts for the V6 Camry and ES300, and they are very expensive. So instead, I plan on using the quick struts for the four-cylinder Camry (cheaper, more brands available too). I don't really think this will be a problem because I know that the 5S-FE is only about 10 lb lighter than the 1MZ-FE. eBay has all four for under $400, and Rock Auto has Raybestos brand quick struts for about $500 (for all four).

Unfortunately KYB quick struts are only available for the XV20 third-gen ES300/fourth-gen Camry.

I replaced all four with Monroe Sensa TraC Strut, first few months the ride was stiff after that great ride. I wish I had known about the Quick Strut, that would save me some work time, two years ago. Rockauto.com quick strut cost $136.00 ea. After installing those strut alignment is required.

Yup! I got those as well, quickstruts ran me 550$ shipped all four for my 2001, lifetime warranty and a 120$ rebate too since i bought them... So even better. 130K and they were shot;

e045e59e.jpg

I replaced all four with Monroe Sensa TraC Strut, first few months the ride was stiff after that great ride. I wish I had known about the Quick Strut, that would save me some work time, two years ago. Rockauto.com quick strut cost $136.00 ea. After installing those strut alignment is required.

I love RockAuto for this reason...