Trailer Hitch Reciever

alolewis

I have a 2004 RX330, which I picked up a week ago (silver with Navigation system). I have the towing package (only Lexus would have a towing package which does not include a hitch receiver) and would like to get a hitch receiver to use for a bike rack and other options. I doubt I would ever tow a trailer as I never towed one with my 9 year old GMC truck. My dealer wants $240 for the receiver plus $340 labor for installation. The labor seems high as http://www.hitchesonline.com/lexus_cl34_rx_330_04.htm installation instructions shows only 6 bolts - nuts already welded to frame. Has anyone had an experience with the installation and is it is easy as Hitches Online leads one to believe?

Thanks,

I have a 2004 RX330, which I picked up a week ago (silver with Navigation system). I have the towing package (only Lexus would have a towing package which does not include a hitch receiver) and would like to get a hitch receiver to use for a bike rack and other options. I doubt I would ever tow a trailer as I never towed one with my 9 year old GMC truck. My dealer wants $240 for the receiver plus $340 labor for installation. The labor seems high as http://www.hitchesonline.com/lexus_cl34_rx_330_04.htm installation instructions shows only 6 bolts - nuts already welded to frame. Has anyone had an experience with the installation and is it is easy as Hitches Online leads one to believe?

Thanks,

Cheapest place for a hitch only (no wiring) is drophitch.com -- $111.

Its very easy to put it on yourself. You might need a second person just to hold it up there, but if you can put six bolts in holes and wrench them down you'll golden.

The lexus hitch includes the trailer wiring harness and a cover for the back.

townhall.edmunds.com in the rx330 forum has more info.

If you don't need the wiring harness. you can install the receiver in about 20 minutes.

It takes another 45min. to an hour to install the Lexus wiring harness, as you have to remove the plastic compartments left side and compartment door, to connect to the Lexus special socket. They get about $48 for it part no.08942-48870-BB, but

I think it's worth it as you can have problems trying to cut into the wiring, and sometimes you need isolation diodes in the wiring circuit.

I have a 2004 RX330, I have the towing package (only Lexus would have a towing package which does not include a hitch receiver) and would like to get a hitch receiver to use for a bike rack and other options. I doubt I would ever tow a trailer as I never towed one with my 9 year old GMC truck. My dealer wants $240 for the receiver plus $340 labor for installation. The labor seems high.

I paid $655 for my hitch from the dealer with only a 4-pin connector (inadequate for some uses). I was told by the dealer that it was important that the dealer put it on but given how much money they got from me, it was probably more important to the dealer than to my car. They told me it wasn't welded, only bolted so I think it was just stupidity that got me to trust them.