2000 Ls400 V V T I Cam Alignment

hughes369

Valves got bent on a 2000 LS400,due to timing belt running a few teeth out of time on the drivers side cylinder head. Oil leak may have prompted the vvti to run out of time, and then the wrong oil weight was put in the engine, 20w-50, which jacked up the oil pressure and put the cam out of phase and bent the valves. Hence, I removed the drivers side cylinder head. While removing the cams, i did not make a mark on the cam gears while they were in mesh. How can I get them back in time and reinstalled? Are there marks of anykind to go by when reinstalling? The older first gen LS400 non vvti engine does have marks on the gears, 2 dots on one side, 1 dot 180 degrees from that dot. Pm me with a diagram or picture of a car with the valve cover off and showing the cams in mesh and lined up. Any advice or information is appreciated.

By the way, all this information was supplied to me by the owner regarding the oil leak and wrong oil being put in. The car drove fine on less than 8 cylinders, but definately will not run at all with bent valves and timed correctly. So the head has been taken off and the valves have been replaced. The head is now torqued back down, and the next step is reinstalling the cams, which are not in mesh and were not marked upon removal. Last time I ever make this mistake.