1991 Ls400 Starter Pics

fisher972002

On my 1991 LS400, the last time the timing belt was replaces as at 73,000 miles. It now has 196K. My Fan bracket seized up, so time to do the Timing belt, also hearing a bearing whine from the front of the motor that can only be the idler bearings on the TB...

In the process of replacing the TB, also the last few months my starter turns over a little slow, sometimes it starts normally, other times slow crank condition. Starter pulling around 250 amps, somtimes less around 170, sometimes over 250, worn out... Midas well replace the starter while we're in there.

The Timing belt Idler, not the tensioner was trashed, when you turn it with your hands even at slow speeds it growls and is loose...So people always as, how many miles should I let my GEN 1 LS400 timing belt go? There 's your answer. My TB itself had small cracks on the outside, but the belt was in pretty good condition on the meat/groove side considering 120K plus miles the belt would/could go lots longer, but the problem is the idlers especially the non-tensioner idler which is really worn out. one more clue, when cold the idler bearing noise was louder, after the vehicle warmed up to normal operating temp, it would quiet down, another clue it's bearing related!

Here are some pics, had the starter rebuilt and reinstalled, had to take off intake, rear by-pass joint, or crossover tube, and the EGR intake Tube that attaches to intake Manifold. New gaskets for intake, and crossover tube, I went ahead and replaced the valve covers while there also, they were original, seeping a little bit, not too bad for 20 years!

Also I don't think my radiator has ever been out, check out the dirt and leaves that was caked on the radiator. Wonder if the previous TB replacement, they left the radiator in. Kind of weird, because I definitely don't drive on dirt or gravel roads, keep the car rockstar clean. Noticed the AC the last few years in the dead of summer isn't cooling as good as it used to, this is the reason why!..LOL..It's a wonder the condenser ever cooled down at all with all this crud in there blocking airflow.

Thought you guys would enjoy pics, we see lots of threads about starters and how hard they are to replace, but you rarely find pics, so here you go!

post-27768-0-82415200-1320763923_thumb.j

post-27768-0-02239900-1320764016_thumb.j

post-27768-0-67768500-1320764040_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how much time was invested to R&R the starter. Do you have any idea?

I just bought a 94 LS, and I know there has been some deferred maintenance waiting for me. But the starter may be tired. It was replaced 3 years ago, but no one knows the source of the replacement used.

Thanks.

924S

AT my brother's Ford Dealership, a co-worker of his rebuilts starters. He rebuilt this starter for me for $100. I figure it's better to keep the original Lexus starter and get new bearings and brushes in it and have the original rebuilt, rather than taking a chance on a made in china O'reilly's or NAPA starter. I mean the amount of work involved in replacing theses starters, better have someone who knows what they are doing rebuild your original starter, or get a factory one from Park Place or Irontoad....

I wouldn't take a chance with a cheapo starter here....

My Old starter was tired.. It still started, it just turned over slow.... Never really stopped working... but the rebuit one, gees waht a difference....

The old starter was pulling between 250 and 300 AMPS per start... Waay too much amps required... New one pulls around 100 consistently.. It starts so much faster, pops off and starts like when I first bought the car 10 years ago....

I have long time friend who's an auto electic specialst, owns his shop and has always done wonderful work. He does all my electral rebuilding. I don't even ask the price before he starts. I know is will be as good as it can be.

However, I don't know the history of the starter or alternator, both of which was replaced 2-3 yrs ago. The PO has no idea; his mecanic got the parts or had them rebuilt. No idea.

How can I find out?