Transmission Fluid Change

Personally i would change it every year...It is essentialy a drain and fill...Takes about 4.2 quarts...of WS fluid....Mine was very dark when I changed it at 88k miles....

How often do you need to change the transmission fluid on 2006 RX400h? How much would the dealer service center charge for this?

Never..!!

RXh uses PSD type CVT, no frictional clutch components, the only heat is from bearing friction and electic motor/generator resistance losses.

How often do you need to change the transmission fluid on 2006 RX400h? How much would the dealer service center charge for this?

Never..!!

RXh uses PSD type CVT, no frictional clutch components, the only heat is from bearing friction and electic motor/generator resistance losses.

Well having a RX400h with 102k miles, I still feel the fluid can eventually break down from heat and gear tear....I Would rather be safe and have as little residue as possible in the fluid. There are more than just bearings in the tranny, their is a planetary looking gear assembly...So yes I would change fluid.

see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Never..!!

Well having a RX400h with 102k miles, I still feel the fluid can eventually break down from heat and gear tear....I Would rather be safe and have as little residue as possible in the fluid. There are more than just bearings in the tranny, their is a planetary looking gear assembly...So yes I would change fluid.

see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

I would change at 100,000 miles if you plan on keeping the car for a while after that. If you do not plan on another 100,000 miles, whether you change depends on how altruistic you choose to be toward the next owner.

Of course this opinion is entirely subjective as are the other opinions here.

Riwyle

What does your owners manual tell you. (If your not confused by now.)

Welcome to the Club.

The owners manual says under severe conditions or towing to change the fluid....But logic dictates to change the fluid when it appears dirty.

Never..!!

So you know something that Lexus doesn't? There is a specified interval in the owner's manual.

• 7 years later...

I made this 13 min video after doing mine. Spoke to most experienced Lexus tech at my dealership on how to do it. He said 100k is a good interval but should be inspected in between. I might start doing mine every 50k for good measure. If you use it to tow or in dirty dusty conditions then your interval should be more frequent.