Idling Issues

DuaneG

93 LS400, 198K.

I was having some intermittent iding issues a couple of years back, but never like this. While standing at a light the car will sit between 500-750, then dip to 250 for a second, then back up to normal. It will do this 2-3 times in about 25 seconds then die. It does not happen at every light, but often enough that I thought I would see what this forums would say.

Gas?

Idle control?

Something else?

Any help wouldbe greatly aprreciated.

DuaneG

dirty throttle body and/or dirty/sticking IACV. Clean them both with Throttle body cleaner and you should be rid of this problem.

+1 clean clean clean. I usually disconnect the battery to reset things at the same time! MAF sensors can make idle go funnny as well. Fuzz attractors i call 'em. I think your car has one. haha Let us know, but Curious made a good suggestion.

• 2 months later...

Ok. Throttle body clena and thet took away a lot of my idling issues....but not all.

How do I clean the IACV?

MAF? Mass airflow sensor? Location and cleaning instructions on that one as well, please?

Not tried a search?

http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=30723

Although for a 1998 the proceedure is the same as yours the MAF is located on top of the alloy casting joined to the air filter box.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35788