2007 Es350 Panorama Roof Problems

wchurchill1945

I have a 2007 ES350 UL edition with the panorama roof. The glass panels all have a rubber (or other compound) surround. It appears that this surround is de-laminating from the glass panels. On one panel, it has separated along almost the entire width of the roof. Has anyone else seen this? I can't believe that I'm "lucky" enough to own the only car this has happened to.

• 2 years later...

Yes. I have had this problem for two years. The colder it is, the more the seal (which is now shaggy and ragged) is thrusting up around the entire perimeter of the roof. In really cold weather, it stick up well over an inch in places. Lexus says it's not a defect. There's no recall. This is apparently because it is not (yet) causing the roof to leak. To fix the problem will cost me several thousand dollars. So I drive it as it. My goal is to be a virtual billboard for how bad a Lexus can look. People will see my roof and know that this is a car they will not want to purchase -- because this is apparently what Lexus wants by not doing ANYTHING to address this problem.

Guys,

You both need to share your disappointment with Lexus USA. Write letters to their complaints departments explaining the issue including several pictures. Be polite, but firm in expressing your disappointment with the lack of concern shown by your dealerships in dealing with the problem.

Explain that you both belong to this forum, and hope that you don't have to share your treatment to the forum members, Consumer Reports, the Better Business Bureau in your state, and all of your friends and relatives. You hope that Lexus would reevaluate your issue, as you know of at least one other owner who has the same exact problem. Also state that their response to your issue will help you to decide whether or not you will purchase another Lexus in the future.

I can tell you that this has worked for me over the years with GM on a repair for a 77 Corvette, 3 months after the warranty was up. It also worked with Toyota on a used Cressida we purchased. In the GM case they gave us the rear end parts free of charge, and required us to pay the labour charges for the repair. More than fair. As for Toyota, they gave the dealership the parts for free, and paid them to install a new sunroof computer, and this on a four year old used car.

I repeat, be firm but fair with them. Tell them that on a vehicle of this age, initial cost, and reputation in the industry, that you would expect that Lexus would want to correct the situation and keep a valued customer. Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also have a panoramic roof on a 2007 es350.

Last week, after I cleared our first snow off the car, I saw a 1 inch loop of gasket material hanging at the front of the roof where it meets the windshield. In the past ten days the loop has trippled in size and is matched by a second loop on the other side. Today there is another loop at the rear edge of this panel. I have not had a chance to consult a dealer yet. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this.

• 3 years later...

I’ve  been suffering with this problem for years. I have an extended warranty and called Lexus directly because my dealer did not want to deal with this problem. He said it was not under warranty. Lexus corporate said they can’t help me. I’m keeping the rubber gasket together by using crazy glue. It looks ridiculous but it works until the next spot pops up. Who would believe That Lexus couldn’t care less. If anybody out there has any ideas or aftermarket gasket that can be put around the glass, please respond to this forum. Also does anybody know if the gasket is removed and it’s entirety, would that cause leaks that Lexus couldn’t care less. If anybody out there has any ideas or aftermarket gasket that can be put around the glass, please respond to this form. Also does anybody know if the gasket is removed and it’s entirety, would that cause leaks when it rains?

According to the parts diagrams on www.toyodiy.com , part number 63251-30090 is the "WEATHERSTRIP, SLIDING ROOF" for the 2007 ES Ultra Luxury Package.  Is this what needs to be replaced?  I see it at https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-weatherstrip-sliding-roof-panel-or-removable-roof~63251-30090.html for $47.12.

• 9 months later...

I have a 2007 Lexus ES 359 with the same problem with the the roof moulding and it continues to deteriorate across the front panel as well as between the sun roof and glass and on the rear window. Dealer takes no responsibility and could not care less. I have been at the dealer and the cost for me to get them to reluctantly do the repair is $6200,  The repair has a one year guarantee. My 2007 Lexus has only 103000 km on it now dec7/2020. The problem actually started about 2 months after I bought the car. I have taken the car back numerous times to have repaired under warranty and also spent 900$ after the warranty. This car is in immaculate condition and I love the car with the exception of the roof.  I also have a 2016 Lexus RX and it has numerous issues the were repaired under warranty after much aggravation and inconvenience.  I have been buying Lexus vehicles since 1993 and have owned 9 different Lexus vehicles.  I doubt I will buy another Lexus due to poor customer service and attitude of the dealer where I have bought Lexus vehicles for 27 years.

22 minutes ago, Ralph crane said:

I have a 2007 Lexus ES 359 with the same problem with the the roof moulding and it continues to deteriorate across the front panel as well as between the sun roof and glass and on the rear window. Dealer takes no responsibility and could not care less. I have been at the dealer and the cost for me to get them to reluctantly do the repair is $6200,  The repair has a one year guarantee. My 2007 Lexus has only 103000 km on it now dec7/2020. The problem actually started about 2 months after I bought the car. I have taken the car back numerous times to have repaired under warranty and also spent 900$ after the warranty. This car is in immaculate condition and I love the car with the exception of the roof.  I also have a 2016 Lexus RX and it has numerous issues the were repaired under warranty after much aggravation and inconvenience.  I have been buying Lexus vehicles since 1993 and have owned 9 different Lexus vehicles.  I doubt I will buy another Lexus due to poor customer service and attitude of the dealer where I have bought Lexus vehicles for 27 years.

My 2007 ES250 had the roof seal deterioration problem. I got NO satisfaction from two different dealers. My car was the laughing stock of the employee parking lot. Every cold snap would result in a new wind whistling whip.

Over the years it needed only a few minor warranty repairs, (1 coil pack, 1 warped brake rotor, one compact disc player, a transmission reprogramming). I was very proud of my red ruby. Last February was my first, non-warranty repair - alternator replaced. The factory original battery had lasted from 2006 until January 2019, it gave up the ghost after the car sat unused for over a week during the Christmas holidays.

Other than that VERY CONSPICUOUS flaw, the car was PERFECT. No scratches, no dings, no rust, no tears. With over 222,000 miles, the engine was running strong with no signs of oil usage.There was NOTHING in the car that did not work as designed. Even the power rear window shade, which prevented the glass from showering over me when a Mercedes utility truck decided to put his front bumper where the back seat used to be. Despite being pushed into two other vehicles. Despite being accordion-ed like that, not a drop of fluid on the pavement and my lexus was driven onto the wrecker. The Mercedes had created a very large lake of engine oil.

My coworkers were surprised that I would even consider another Lexus after what was happening to my panoramic roof (and lack of manufacturer support). Lexus safety and reliability - yes , panoramic roof - NEVER, not even free with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately the UX 200 F sport was not available without the cheap toy car looking plastic wheel lips reminiscent of the 90's Subaru's. Ironically, I purchased a red metallic Subaru Impreza wagon. Not as powerful, not as luxurious, but just as safe and reliable, and looks as classy as my ES350 ruby, before the roof turned to ...

• 1 year later...

Hi I had the same issue with my es350 2011. I have asked Lexus part shop to buy those rubber seal but they said it comes with the glass and costs $1736.

Any one has replaced the rubber seal only? I couldn't find the right rubber seal anywhere.

Do you happen to park your car outside at night? My guess is that the ambient temperature is responsible for the seal failure. Our moonroof and seals are still perfect after 16.5 years. The weather here is bit milder, however.