Lsd

safire

this is why I am asking:

Differentials are gearboxes that transmit power from the driveshaft to the rear axles in a way that allows each wheel to spin independently of the other. The SC coupes came with open differentials, which do not transfer torque between wheels when one is losing traction (slipping). In fact, under most circumstances, the open diff. only gives one wheel all the power. Thus the need for limited-slip differentials (aka: Positrac). Limited-slip differentials (LSD) transfer power to the wheel with the most traction, which allows you to deliver more power to the ground. There is a wide array of LSD options out there. The trouble is in matching the overall drivetrain ratios. If your final drive ratio is off, your speedometer and odometer will also be off. The most popular LSDs used are the Torsen Supra and Supra TRD LSDs because they are direct bolt-ons. Be aware that there are many versions of the Supra differential, including some that are actually open differentials!

LSDs are categorized as 1.0 limited-slip, 1.5 limited-slip, and 2.0 limited-slip. Here are the distinctions:

Open differential - will power only one wheel at almost all times. Some open differentials will give the appearance of being limited slip when (1) power brake launching, (2) when good traction is avalable, and (3) when the car is pointed forward and not turning.

1-way Limited-slip - provides power to both wheels when the car is traveling straight and no other time. The weakest linking differential of all LSDs.

1.5-way Limited-slip - provides power to both wheels when the car is traveling straight and turning. Moderate grip while engaged.

2-way Limited-slip - provides power to both wheels when the car is traveling straight, while turning, and while braking. Fully engaged limited-slip at all times.

Not on current car but had it on my previous ride.

I prefer 2.0 because then I know for a fact that both wheels are getting equal power at all times.

I hate traction control systems and open differentials because they're freakin unpredictable.

Thank god my SC is a 5spd so there's no traction control.

After I go turbo, will definitely be looking into a TT Supra LSD

My $.02

My car also came without traction control. I thought that was very strange that it would actually be an option, but oh well I am happy without it. Now the problem is finding a good LSD to put into this car. This maybe one of the only mods they make for it.

I just put a Cusco LSD in my vehicle. 2 way. It works real good, set it up at 80% so that it is not so noisy, but it works great. I could not believe that with the limited amount of 5 speeds that they did not come with LSD stock...

I truly believe we have a LSD but if so, it is a one way.

I have not found any documentation to back any of this but just from driving (can't really call a burnout driving) I have noticed that sometimes the car will spin both wheels which makes me think that there is a hint of LSD.

Interesting topic for which no one seems to have a solid answer.

They should have just made them LSD.

I truly believe we have a LSD but if so, it is a one way.

I have not found any documentation to back any of this but just from driving (can't really call a burnout driving) I have noticed that sometimes the car will spin both wheels which makes me think that there is a hint of LSD.

Interesting topic for which no one seems to have a solid answer.

They should have just made them LSD.

Same here. I believe we have to have the 1.0 LSD. Only explanation to our equal patches on the straight-away.

I hear TRD has a 1.5 for the SC/Soarer/Supra.

Masubi:

Do you still have your Diffy of your SC still, or did you trade.

We installed a TT lsd on a sc300 last week also a new 6 spd tranny. The tranny is acting up so we have pull the tranny out to rebuilb it. We will keep y'all update.

JPI

So you guys tend to think we have the 1 and not an open diff. I have yet to try any burnouts :P but when I do I will let you guys no. But atleast you were not experiencing the one wheel peeler.

Nice to here that you noticed a difference with the 2 way. Do you think it was worth the$$?

thanks

Well I put the car up on jacks and set the rear wheels in motion. When you slow down one wheel (well... with the wheel off and a rag pushed against the rotor), the other wheel speeds up. Is that an open differential?

I thought my SC300 had LSD but it doesn't!!! Before I lowered the car it locked both wheels ALL the time when I did a burnout, now that it's lowered, it doesn't do it as much... I read on the supra forum that there is a code on the door that says if you have it or not, it's all Toyota, so the codes should be the same... From that code, my SC300 does not have LSD...

LSD information

8864-3741.jpg

This is from a toyota, if it reads A/TM: A02C or A02D, then you are supposed to have LSD... A02A means you don't have LSD...

Anthony

Edited by rabidus

Yeah, straight shots and some slides will spin both tires. If too much weight seems to transfer it will drag the inside tire and slow down your motion causing your car to slow drastically, and gain traction. Just something I've noticed while waisting back tires.

• 2 years later...

Hey, JPI:

Do you know if the Supra TT LSD bolts right into a SC300 5sp? Did you have to change anything else or get any other parts? I want to make my 93 sc300 5 speed a LSD and want to buy the right unit the first time so I don't have to mess around with parts that don't fit.

Cheers!

I first tried the KAAZ LSD on my 1992 SC400 it was very aggresive and noisy around turns, I loved it for the traction but hated it for the noise when turning...Click, click, click..It was almost like a detoit locker LSD. Had to dump it... Went with a 1993 torsen tt Supra LSD, not as aggresive, no noise, and it drives like the open end differential and still has the LSD capabilities, not as good as the Kaaz traction wise, but good enough... I like it and the gearing matched perfect with my SC400... Found it at a local junk yard for I think around $400 almost a year ago and bolted right in with no problems to speak of...

you can adjust those so that they are less aggressive thus making less noise.

Very true the KAAZ differentials are adjustable but you will always have some noise, and the LSD needs a recommended maintenance of every 2000 miles which is rediculous....

• 1 month later...

Thought I would put my $.02 in on the LSD issues. I have a 92 SC400 and experience the same thin you guys are talking about. Many times on straight both tires will spin and my car will actually start to slide. Then again on turns it is only one tire and sometimes going straight it is only 1 tire. It seems to me like a very week LSD but I am sure its not LSD. With my car jacked up only one wheel spins. But at least sometimes you get two wheel action :)