Need Tires & Need Help

Have 2006 Rx400H. On 3rd set of tires - Goodyears- 235/55/18 - and have 60K. I'm looking for tires that will first get me through the winter, then last longer than 20k and are cheap..I figure if I'm having to replace the tires every 20K, why spend more upfront. Winter conditions really worry me, I don't drive far but we have hilly conditions and winding roads.

I was recommended Kuhmo Solus K21, after reading the reviews, not good in snow..

Toys, Mich too high in price, Firestone Dest S/T?

Any suggestions?

Have 2006 Rx400H. On 3rd set of tires - Goodyears- 235/55/18 - and have 60K. I'm looking for tires that will first get me through the winter, then last longer than 20k and are cheap..I figure if I'm having to replace the tires every 20K, why spend more upfront. Winter conditions really worry me, I don't drive far but we have hilly conditions and winding roads.

I was recommended Kuhmo Solus K21, after reading the reviews, not good in snow..

Any suggestions?

I did a search of the forum and found these threads that might be helpful.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59420&st=0&p=388883&hl=+rx400h%20+tire%20+wear&fromsearch=1entry388883

Thank you so much. Looks like this is going to harder than I thought. When I was shopping yesterday, I asked about changing to 255/55/18's and both places said that wasn't a good idea. Speedometer and ABS wouldn't function properly, however I see that some owners have switched and I haven't read about any problems with that, any thoughts?The 235's look lost on the car, almost as if they ARE the wrong size....

I have to make a decision this week, current tires are almost bald. Was hoping Costco would have the Alenza's on sale for Nov. they look OK.

Thank you so much. Looks like this is going to harder than I thought. When I was shopping yesterday, I asked about changing to 255/55/18's and both places said that wasn't a good idea. Speedometer and ABS wouldn't function properly, however I see that some owners have switched and I haven't read about any problems with that, any thoughts?The 235's look lost on the car, almost as if they ARE the wrong size....

I have to make a decision this week, current tires are almost bald. Was hoping Costco would have the Alenza's on sale for Nov. they look OK.

I wish you were getting some more feedback from other RX400 owners because I'm not a RX expert by any stretch. ahopefully some others will chime in this weekend as they have time.

Did the people you talked to re the 18" wheels/tires explain that it is the circumfrance of the tire that will throw off the speedometer, not the 255/55 width of the tire. However, another issue to keep in mind is if you switch to a wider, larger circumfrance tire, you may have trouble with the tire rubbing the wheel well when you make tight turns. I don't know if that is a problem on the 06' GS but you need to check that out with your local tire guy or dealer.

As far as cost, my dealer will match any advertised tire price including Tire Rack and Costco. When comparing prices don't forget that you also have the cost of mounting and balancing each tire. Here in the Mid-West that runs about $25-35.00 a piece. Tire Rack offers good reviews and comparisons of their tires.

Here is an article on tire size that might be helpful.

http://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/maintenance-repair/how-to-read-tire-sizes-8764/

If you want ultimate traction on snow-covered hills, consider snow tires instead of all-season. The Parada-Xs are excellent all-season tires but if you can afford two sets, that's what I'd do if I lived in an area that is both hilly and cold during winter months.

By the way, 255/55/18 tires each is .8 inch taller than a 255/55/18 tire. I believe those who run the taller/wider size have not had rubbing issues although mileage will suffer somewhat.

If you want the best all season for snow, it might be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, it's in the Ultra High Performance All Season category. BUT, the ratings in the surveys for snow performance for them and the Paradas are very similar. They are a little more expensive than the Paradas.

We didn't get much snow here last year but I took them out after a light storm on snow covered roads and they seemed to do fine.

The wider tire you'd like will not be better in the snow.

Any suggestions?

60K and third set of tires are nearly bald..?

Something other than normal tire wear is wrong.

Original brake pads..?

At the 50K service the brake pads front and rear measured @ 7MM, no mention of them needing to be replaced.(May-10) Also had the TBS done for the EPS in June of 09. Always have the tires rotated 5K with oil change.

Paradas are looking good..

Thank you..

It all depends on how hard you drive it. You're never going to have good treadwear on these vehicles because they are low profile tires, but because they are basically FWD and front engined if you drive it hard in the corners they really tear the front tires up...

I think I drive pretty soft, definitely not an aggressive driver, getting 28.5 mpgs, keeping in glide mode as much as possible. But who knows. Half to say I love this car and I'm liking those Paradas

New issue--- now my key is not turning when I put it into the ignition. I read that graphite spray is one way to correct, will do more research. I tried spare key and the same problem exists. Sure hope this isn't the Irish Curse...

When that happened to our RX, last year I squirted some powdered graphite in the ignition switch slot and never had the non-turning key issue since.

Have the new tires on Baby Rex. Ordered on 11.7.11 and they were delivered 11.8.11, talk about service. So far I love 'em. The Parada's look and handle great. Now I'm ready for the snow, so game on.

Thanks to all for imput.

My Paradas came from Tirerack as well and a local tire shop installed them. They have been great on dry and wet roads but as you may imagine, there's not much of the white stuff here in San Diego.

By the way, Continental makes some great tires, too. I think either brand is a great choice.

Have the new tires on Baby Rex. Ordered on 11.7.11 and they were delivered 11.8.11, talk about service. So far I love 'em. The Parada's look and handle great. Now I'm ready for the snow, so game on.

Thanks to all for imput.

Good choice, I think you'll be happy with those tires.

• 2 months later...

well folks how have the Parada's holding up? I am in the marketon my RX400h with AWD and would love to hear any plus or minus on this tire. Please give update. The other tire I was looking at was the Goodyear Assurance....any thoughts.

Two words - Love 'em. We haven't had any snow, but the rain has been be pretty nasty and they have performed wonderfully. The car seems to hug the road much better that before. With the OEM's, I always felt like the back end was going to slide out on me, not now. Haven't noticed any humming or noise, and since I don't do alot of miles, they're still looking great on wear. Couldn't be happier.

Bought new wipers at Costco, also great buy, and 2 second install..

Maybe it will be a mild winter, one can only hope...

I would highly recommend the Parada's - 5 stars.

I've had my Paradas over a year, and they have been great in rain, snow/ice and dry pavement. Never got stuck or had any slipping in bad weather, and they are super quiet with great handling. Not quite as fuel efficient as the Green-X OEM LRR Michelins, but only a 2-3 MPG difference highway.

I've had my Paradas over a year, and they have been great in rain, snow/ice and dry pavement. Never got stuck or had any slipping in bad weather, and they are super quiet with great handling. Not quite as fuel efficient as the Green-X OEM LRR Michelins, but only a 2-3 MPG difference highway.

2-3 miles per gallon difference on the highway, holy cow. Thats a 10% difference in highway gas mileage, those are some expensive tires.