Carbon Fiber Hood And Trunk Lid

JDOwen2

I've seen the hood and trunk lid offered by one of the forum supporters and emailed them about compatability with the factory support struts. They say it will work but I was under the impression if you went with a fiberglass (or carbon fiber) hood or trunk lid that you would need softer struts or springs so as not to overstress the attachment points. Anyone have these pieces installed? Do the factory struts work? The price seems reasonable if you don't have to change anything else out.

the gas struts are either working or out of gas so well you will have a sore arm and busted results :lol: lexus offers 3 different kinds of trunk struts depending whether you have a wing or not and the other has to do with what kind of mounting it has

You can not use the factory struts, they apply to much pressure to the hood and trunk and cause then to not sit properly. I will try to fit up some other ones and will let you all know when I get them to fit.

I'm contemplating using the rear trunk lifts on the CF front hood. Then just getting new trunk lifts for the back. But if you go with a CF or frp trunk, then those shocks would be too strong as well. I've seen the mr2 lift and thought about trying it. I think the best bet would be to get a ratio on weight between the oem panels and the new panels. Use that number as a factor to reduce the force of the lift and find one as close as possible to the oem unit with the lower rating.

its a lexus man! we dont hod up hoods with wire or by hand :lol: but yea it would be really good if you guys could look in to which strut works best with the CF stuff (im thinking of getting them.)