Transmission At 109K Miles?

cindydwyer

I own both a 2011 450 SUV and a 2004 GX 470 SUV. The GTX 470 bucked like a bronco yesterday and felt like it would not change gears. The Lexus dealer said it needs a new transmission plus a seal on the transfer case. They said the transmission fluid was down 2.5 quarts - which they

replaced. After replacing the fluid they test drove the car in both a "highway speed" mode (~60 mph) and a "traffic mode" (stop and go) and

experienced no problems. They also said the all of the "warning lights" went out, as one would expect. They also explained that the transmission

is a "non-serviceable" item and therefore does not have a dipstick to allow one to check the fluid levels. With that being the case, one would

LOGICALLY conclude that when one takes vehicle in for at least a MAJOR service like the 100K check, the transmission would be one of the

things that are checked as a part of the service.

Frankly I'm really irritated that a supposedly quality car that has had every scheduled service can have a transmission go bad at 109K miles. The car was just in for the last service a few weeks ago (110K).

I'm not happy to think of a $5800 bill. Has anyone had success in negotiating the price of a new transmission? Does anyone think that a fluid check should be part of the normal service? Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

I am having the same exact scenario on my GF's 470 at 113,000 miles. On a guess, I asked the dealer to change the tranny fluid to see if it would bring her 'fried' ($5,500 to replace) transmission back to life. We pick the car up later tonight and I'll post results.

How is yours holding up?

I own both a 2011 450 SUV and a 2004 GX 470 SUV. The GTX 470 bucked like a bronco yesterday and felt like it would not change gears. The Lexus dealer said it needs a new transmission plus a seal on the transfer case. They said the transmission fluid was down 2.5 quarts - which they

replaced. After replacing the fluid they test drove the car in both a "highway speed" mode (~60 mph) and a "traffic mode" (stop and go) and

experienced no problems. They also said the all of the "warning lights" went out, as one would expect. They also explained that the transmission

is a "non-serviceable" item and therefore does not have a dipstick to allow one to check the fluid levels. With that being the case, one would

LOGICALLY conclude that when one takes vehicle in for at least a MAJOR service like the 100K check, the transmission would be one of the

things that are checked as a part of the service.

Frankly I'm really irritated that a supposedly quality car that has had every scheduled service can have a transmission go bad at 109K miles. The car was just in for the last service a few weeks ago (110K).

I'm not happy to think of a $5800 bill. Has anyone had success in negotiating the price of a new transmission? Does anyone think that a fluid check should be part of the normal service? Thanks in advance!

If it is not serviceable than how did they change the fluid, and fill it to the correct level...logic tells you that they are lying. I found pan and filter kits for that vehcile online. That means it is serviceable. What a bunch of baloney... I would fix the leak, change the filter and pan gasket, and if everything works, than run from that stealership.... on a side note look in your service booklet and find out exactly what the service interval is. if you dont have that log on to mylexus.com and enter your Vin # and you will find a source for that booklet on that site...