Roof Rack Noise

flydog

I bought a used RX330 a few weeks ago. I noticed a "howling noise" that started around 40 mph. When I took it to the dealer for its 30K service, they told me it was the back tire "feathering" (?) and they fixed it. Drove it home; same noise. Did a bit of research and removed the cross members on the roof rack. Problem solved!

I bought a used RX330 a few weeks ago. I noticed a "howling noise" that started around 40 mph. When I took it to the dealer for its 30K service, they told me it was the back tire "feathering" (?) and they fixed it. Drove it home; same noise. Did a bit of research and removed the cross members on the roof rack. Problem solved!

Still kind of strange though, you shouldn't really have to do that. Maybe they weren't on properly when you got the car. I know a lot of people remove them and only put them on when the need to attach ski racks or a cargo box. I'd try to put them back on your self, and ensure that they are on proper and tight, and I bet the noise will no longer be there.

my .02

Still kind of strange though, you shouldn't really have to do that. Maybe they weren't on properly when you got the car. I know a lot of people remove them and only put them on when the need to attach ski racks or a cargo box. I'd try to put them back on your self, and ensure that they are on proper and tight, and I bet the noise will no longer be there.

my .02

I tried moving them back and forth to different positions with no help. The removal was the only thing that worked.