Es300

41superc

Hello,

I just bought this '96 ES300--very nice. I knew it probably had oil clogging, so took the oil pan off when I got home. Man, was it a mess! Scraped it clean, soaked-cleaned oil pump and re-assembled, using Maxlife oil. In about 1,000 miles oil light comes on--pulled pan again and oil pickup clogged again. So, cleaned it again. Light came back on. Now we've removed the valve covers--what a mess! Anyway, my question is: does anyone have a diagram showing the oil passages in this engine--I can't find it on the TIS site. Also, has anyone tried unclogging one of these without tearing it down? Finally, what causes the buildup? Is the PCV system too weak to keep the crankcase clean? Thanks for any advice!

--Paul Smith

P&A Smith Auto Inc.

Cary, NC

opasmithaut@nc.rr.com

You have the engine sludge car. The best thing to do is pull the heads off. Clean it, replace the valve steam seals, valve cover gaskets. Pull #1 and #2 oil pan off clean them off. Replace your oil pump.

JPI

How many miles on the car 41? After correcting the problem, you might want to consider synthetic oil, but most important is to change the oil at regular scheduled intervals is vital. Do you have any service records?