Parking Ticket Hell

pj8708

Remember Ronald Reagan? Some cities are so hard up for money, they're hunting parking ticket violators down 5,10, 25 years after the ticket was issued !!!

Read on !!

http://autos.aol.com/article/beware-cities-hunting-you-down-for-reagan-era-parking-tickets/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl24%7Csec1_lnk3%7C107310

SERIOUSLY?? :blink:

Why are people having trouble fighting these tickets? If they take it to court, the officer who wrote the ticket has to testify- good luck finding them after so many years!

And why are the fines so high?? If someone got a $30 ticket 25 years ago, should they be forced to pay MORE for that same ticket now?

And i don't like the idea that an outside agency is getting a portion of the money these violators have to pay for old tickets...

I wonder if the "charges" on old parking tickets like these would be dropped if the recipient simply notifies the city that he was going to come to court with the expectation that he would confront his "accuser".

I've gotten only one parking ticket in 45 years of driving and it was dropped when I called the city and told them that I wanted to see the police officer / "meter maid" that wrote the ticket in court. Of course it was easy for me since I was legally parked when I got the ticket. It was the last day of the month and it looked like everyone parked on the block got a ticket -- might have been from pressure to meet a parking ticket quota.

My favorite parking ticket story happened when I was in High School.

We used to have to park on a neighborhood street a few blocks down from the school because the lot was small and spaces were awarded based on a lottery system. As you might imagine, the neighbors didn't care much for a bunch of teenagers parking their cars in front of their houses every day.

Well...one day we arrived, went into school, and when we came out after school the county had put up permit parking only signs up (they weren't there in the morning, they put them up while we were in school) and had given every student on the street a parking ticket. The parents raised hell with the school and they got the tickets reversed...but still lol