Passenger Side Window Problems

IowaHAWKS

I have a 2008 ES350. The front passenger's side window was off track and would not close. I had it looked at yesterday and the plastic tab on the bottom of the window had broke. I called the local Toyota dealership and spoke with the guy in the parts department. I emailed him a picture of the broken piece and he informed me I would have to buy the entire glass portion of the window. I don't see why I would have to buy the whole window because a $3 piece of plastic broke. Do they make a repair kit for this?? I'm open to suggestions since according to the parts guy a new window would cost around $400! For some reason i'm unable to attach a photo to this thread.

I have a 2008 ES350. The front passenger's side window was off track and would not close. I had it looked at yesterday and the plastic tab on the bottom of the window had broke. I called the local Toyota dealership and spoke with the guy in the parts department. I emailed him a picture of the broken piece and he informed me I would have to buy the entire glass portion of the window. I don't see why I would have to buy the whole window because a $3 piece of plastic broke. Do they make a repair kit for this?? I'm open to suggestions since according to the parts guy a new window would cost around $400! For some reason i'm unable to attach a photo to this thread.

First, I would suggest running your problem past another dealer just to verify that in fact you do have to replace the whole assembly. If you don't have a dealer you can call or visit try Sewell Lexus in Dallas, TX. They sell parts to our members at a discount and can offer you an opinion. Additionally, if your looking for less expensive parts you can check with a wrecker yard.

Here is Sewell's e-mail.

http://www.sewellparts.com

Go Hawks!!

it's very typical for dealers and car companies to sell you larger assemblies rather then little $3 parts. They cant make money on $3 parts.

You might try an independent auto door window service. There's one in this area that even offers mobile service.

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I called the Lexus dealer this morning and they have to replace the whole window (even though it not broken) just because the $3 piece of plastic. However, THE GOOD NEWS IS.....Our vehicle is still under warranty!! Thank Goodness! Warranty is up on Nov 12, 2011! We just made it.....bad news is the wife hit a deer on the way home last night. Dayum....i can't catch a break.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 2008 ES last week and I have this exact same problem.

The passenger window won't go up properly. Actually forcing it up pushes the whole piece of molding out and it needs to be popped back into place after finally getting the window up all the way.

Need to be able to fix this easily and cheaply.

Thanks from a new member (today)