'12 Jgc Price Drops By Over $3,000

ArmyofOne

If you've just purchased a new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you have our sincere congratulations, but you also might not want to read this post any further.

The 2012 Grand Cherokee, which goes on sale next month, will reportedly benefit from a $3,220 price decrease versus the 2011 model. This means that the base Laredo trim level with two-wheel drive will now carry an MSRP of $26,995. It also means that the resale value of your 2011 model has likely just taken a pretty severe whack.

Jeep introduced the all-new Grand Cherokee for the 2011 model year, and thus, only minor changes have been made for the 2012 model. The 5.7-liter V8 is now mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, rather than the aging five-speed, and models equipped with the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 will now come with electro-hydraulic power-assisted steering. These enhancements are good for very minor increases in fuel economy – likely no more than a single mpg here or there.

The folks at Kicking Tires point out that the lower base price may be a reflection of higher price points for option packages and the removal of once-standard equipment. For example, the 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo came standard with an eight-way power seat, whereas the 2012 model does not. What's more, the Laredo's leather seating package now costs a whopping $5,300 instead of $4,000.

Elsewhere in the Chrysler lineup, the 2012 Dodge Avenger and Chrysler 200 receive price decreases of $250, and the 2012 Dodge Journey costs a substantial $1,450 less than the 2011 model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/16/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-base-price-plummets-by-over-3-000/

Boy, Ya'll must be miffed. I know I would be! :censored: :chairshot: :blink:

The 2012 has been out for a while, and actually the prices have been raised slightly, not the other way around. I don't know where Autoblog got that story...maybe for the base vehicles, but when you buy something with options, its slightly more

If I build a 2012 Laredo X just like mine it comes out to $39,110, about $200 more than my 2011.

I think what they have done, Steve, is lower the base MSRP, and raise the price of the option packages, in an effort to increase profit margins.

I mean, lets face it, $5,300 for leather interior, in any vehicle is HIGH. :wacko:

Doesn't really increase profit margins. They're just showing a lower "starting at" price, but once you add the options the prices are a little higher than 2011. Its just a marketing ploy, they can lure people in with that low starting price and low lease payment, and then they realize if they want anything other than the Laredo E, its going to cost them a LOT more.

The $5,300 isn't just for the leather seats, its for the "X" package on the Laredo which is what I have. That $5,300 gets you heated leather seats, power driver & passenger seats, upgraded 18" wheels, bluetooth, upgraded audio with touchscreen media center (HDD Storage, etc), automatic climate control. The base Laredo is just cloth...

If your just buying a base Grand Cherokee, then you might actually benefit from that price drop, but by the time you get to the Overland 4x4 package, it's now $2400 more, and you don't get ELSD which is now another $2200 and only comes with the Off Road package II which it seems they were giving away on the 2011 Overland package. People I know on the forums over there to get the same package I have are upset they waited for the 2012, and tried to jump on late 2011's.