Restoring Wheel Finishing

Thinking of purchasing & refinishing a second set of OEM 5 spoke rims for my 99 LS.

If the wheels have the typical "wear" with some light scratches and NO curb rash, what is required to really shine them up - more than just a wash and wax/hand buff.

Do I need orbital polisher, etc..... and can they be "restored" to near "new" condition?

Thanks everyone...

The wheels are coated in a clearcoat just like the paint, as long as the clearcoat isn't compromized then you should be able to buff them up with an abrasive polish just as you would the paint. An orbital would be helpful.

The wheels are coated in a clearcoat just like the paint, as long as the clearcoat isn't compromized then you should be able to buff them up with an abrasive polish just as you would the paint. An orbital would be helpful.

Sounds like a deep scratch would require orbital buffer and then maybe spray some clearcoat back over the wheel? Or is it not that simple?

I'm just asking in case I see this in a wheel.....

Also, you recommend the portercable 7424 orbital polisher - in the detail store? I've got some other light scratches in a few places on the body I'm thinking of tackling this spring/summer......

Yes, the Porter Cable we sell is the best tool you'll ever buy, comes with all three pads that you'll need too!

if the wheels are that damaged that they'd require clearcoating the clearcoat would have to be stripped and the re-sprayed. You CAN do this but I dont know if you'd want to...