Replacing Front 6X9's With Alternative - M Levinson - Specs?

Hello!

As a new owner of a 2004 GX470 with the Mark Levinson, I've learned that the factory speakers don't seem to fare very well with heavy bass. I lost the passenger door a week ago and the driver's door this morning. Was listening to bass heavy music but by no means over driving the system.

When I disconnected the passenger speaker on Wednesday, I didn't see any obvious damage and it has a rattle when playing - sounds like the voice coil is separating from the driver. Cone, spider and surround are all intact and the coil doesn't feel like it's rubbing in the magnet - seems as though the original adhesive failed.

I've priced OEM replacements ($150/ea.) and found shops that could repair ($40/ea.) but I'm thinking of replacing with a different driver.

Couple of questions:

Anyone have a link to an overview of the audio system? I seem to find them for the LS and IS - not the GX.

I can't seem to find the specs for the drivers - speculation is anywhere from 4 - 8 ohms, with 8 ohms being the consensus.

From my initial research it looks like I'll need an 8 ohm replacement driver which is difficult as most of the automotive applications are 4 ohm. I did see the Cadence driver but it's rated as a mid-range driver with a low end of 150hz - we already have a mid-range driver in the door with the 6x9. I'm okay with a full ranger (2-3 way) .

If the system has a dedicated subwoofer, installing a 6.5" woofer with a baffle may be another option.

Thanks!!

-Eric

It took me about 15 minutes to disconnect the driver's speaker, but before I did I managed to determine the surround has failed where the trim ring meets the frame - difficult to see but I assume the passenger side is the same.

I'm thinking of trying the silicone method instead of replacing.

-Eric

Hello!

As a new owner of a 2004 GX470 with the Mark Levinson, I've learned that the factory speakers don't seem to fare very well with heavy bass. I lost the passenger door a week ago and the driver's door this morning. Was listening to bass heavy music but by no means over driving the system.

When I disconnected the passenger speaker on Wednesday, I didn't see any obvious damage and it has a rattle when playing - sounds like the voice coil is separating from the driver. Cone, spider and surround are all intact and the coil doesn't feel like it's rubbing in the magnet - seems as though the original adhesive failed.

I've priced OEM replacements ($150/ea.) and found shops that could repair ($40/ea.) but I'm thinking of replacing with a different driver.

Couple of questions:

Anyone have a link to an overview of the audio system? I seem to find them for the LS and IS - not the GX.

I can't seem to find the specs for the drivers - speculation is anywhere from 4 - 8 ohms, with 8 ohms being the consensus.

From my initial research it looks like I'll need an 8 ohm replacement driver which is difficult as most of the automotive applications are 4 ohm. I did see the Cadence driver but it's rated as a mid-range driver with a low end of 150hz - we already have a mid-range driver in the door with the 6x9. I'm okay with a full ranger (2-3 way) .

If the system has a dedicated subwoofer, installing a 6.5" woofer with a baffle may be another option.

Thanks!!

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Tech information on the ML system is pretty hard to come by. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that is probably true for most of the other auto maker proprietary high end packages. Other than the speakers however, a ML is an ML regardless of what model car it is installed in. A LS460L may have a few more speakers than some other model.

Replacing the speakers with other than the OEM type is usually discouraged unless you can find aftermarket ones that meet the same specific specs. as the OE. The reason is that the Levinson is designed with a matched crossover network also matched to the funky 8 ohm speakers. My own car audio shop refuses to work on them,(i.e. placing aftermarket speakers) because they can't make the new speaker match regardless of what they do.

There is quite a bit of information on this site regarding people working on the ML system. I would suggest that you do a search and see if some of your questions might be answered there.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

As a retired custom audio installer, I appreciate and would prefer to maintain the simplicity of keeping the system stock - the main reason I am interested in repairing the surrounds on the 6x9's.

You mentioned "your shop" as in yours or one that you use?

I'm curious as to the factory subwoofer in the GX470 with Levinson - location and size?

Thinking I may order the surround for it as well as the LS seems to have issues.

-Eric

Thanks Paul!

As a retired custom audio installer, I appreciate and would prefer to maintain the simplicity of keeping the system stock - the main reason I am interested in repairing the surrounds on the 6x9's.

You mentioned "your shop" as in yours or one that you use?

I'm curious as to the factory subwoofer in the GX470 with Levinson - location and size?

Thinking I may order the surround for it as well as the LS seems to have issues.

-Eric

Glad to hear of your background Eric, we can use an expert on the site as we seem to have a shortage of audio resources from time to time. I am just an amateur, I use a well qualified shop here in town for all my needs.

The sub-woofer in the Levinson system seems to be a continual source of trouble regardless of what model Lexus your talking about. It seems every week one member or another drives through here with a complaint about their sub rattling with some form of distortion or separation around the cone as has been written up before.I think your preventative maintenance idea is a good one. As to the location and size I don't know. Have you tried a search?

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot confirm it is a drop in for every model, but have had several customers purchase our DC GOLD speakers because we are one of the few that offer an 8 Ohm black 6 X 9. From the feedback we have received it is more reasonable and sound better that the stock speaker. Fell free to call with any questions.

post-135168-0-79985100-1321325669_thumb.

• 4 months later...