Lx570 - New Tires Every 14,000 Miles?!?

LX570Owner

LX570 STOCK TIRES SUCK!!!

I have 14,700 miles on my 2011 LX570. Was told by the dealer today that I would need new tires soon! WTF? I bought the car 13 months ago and I need new tires already? According to the dealer, the tread only has 30% remaining on the outer edges. The tires that are on there now are the Dunlop PT2A P285/50r20. I'm FURIOUS! I have had the car serviced only at my local Lexus dealership, and I noticed the tread wear after 3 months of driving it. I was told it was normal back then and not to worry.

I feel that Lexus sold me poor quality tires. Why would they do this? My old LX had Michelin's that lasted close to 50,000 miles. Do I have a possible warranty case here? New tires are close to $1,300!

When I purchased my 2010 LX570 (in Southern California) Lexus offered the car with two different tires. Some came with the Dunlops and others with the Michelin Latitude tires. I was lucky - mine came with the Michelin Latitudes which I think are greatly supperior to the Dunlops. I have about 40,000 on them so far and could easily do another 10,000 or more. I would go to another dealer or an independent tire store for another opinion. Check the tire warranty that came with the car. Regardless, I would suggest you switch to the Michelin Latitudes as your next tire. You will never consider another tire after that. (The exception might be if you drive a lot in the snow. Michelin rated them only a 7 out of 10 for snow handling)

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

I've had Dunlops only once in my life on a BMW about 25 years ago. They went out of round after about 10K miles, and I had to replace them despite still having ample tread. Have never bought Dunlops since. Uneven tread-wear (you said the edges had only 30% left) results from improper inflation pressure or misalignment. Bite the bullet and buy a new set of decent tires, and have the pressure and alignment checked regularly. I have 30K on a set of high-end Bridgestones and there's still have more than half the tread left.

The wheels and tires specifications for the LX570 have the following footnote:

"20-in performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles, depending upon driving conditions."

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not a warranty issue. Try the Michelin Lattitude - reviews have been better. We have them - cannot attest to their longevity (just bought the vehicle), but road noise is minimal.