Blue Tooth In 2002 Mark Levenson /nav System

sandiegodoug

just inherited my fathers 2002 LS 430 with 30,000 miles on it. the car is a dream to commute in and gets way better gas mileage than my 4x4 tundra. The one feature my tundra has that i miss is the blue tooth, thru the stereo system. Best Buy says they can install a parrot system for about 400 dollars. Just wondering if anyone has installed the system on a 2002 ls . I dont want the interior all cut up. I think that I could hide a device in the ashtray, since i will never allow smokers to enter my cars. If you have had such a system installed , please let me know how it worked out for you. I want to avoid those 200 dollar fines for using my cell phone while driving

thanks ahead of time

There is a lengthy thread in the SC430 section on ClubLexus about a Parrot MKi9100 install. It's probably from a couple of years ago but you can find it by searching that section for "Parrot".

A lot of people hide the Parrot display in the ashtray but I think it would be more useful if it was higher up. I have long planned to install a Parrot MKi9100 in my 2000 LS400 but my old phone and kit hasn't given up yet. When I do install the Parrot, I will mount the display on the left side of the instrument cluster just below the fuel guage so I won't have to take my eyes off the road as much.

If you have any mechanical skill (and time), consider doing the install yourself with an interface harness from Parrot. It's probably a "7" on a 1 to 10 scale of difficulty. I have had very poor luck with "professional" phone kit installers and ended up repositioning most of the components in two cars.

Edit: The ClubLexus thread on installing a Parrot MKi9100 in an 02 SC430 using an interface harness is at http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/441563-1-stop-bluetooth-ipod-solution-for-02-sc.html

And here is a thread where I supplied documents from member jainla about installing an older Parrot in an LS430 without using an interface harness - hardwiring it: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59114&st=0&p=380651&hl=parrot&fromsearch=1entry380651

Search this forum for "Parrot" and you will find other threads.

Shortly after I purchased my 2002 LS 430, I installed a Motorola Bluetooth HF1000 Bluetooth Car Kit. It is a hardwired kit that doesn't go through the radio by performs perfectly. The voice recognition is excellent. I powered it from the fuse box in the passenger kick panel. It will take about two-three hours to install and cosst approx. $180. BTW a 2002 LS 430 with 30-K is a gem! I just turned 115K. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluetooth-HF1000-Car-Kit/dp/B0008IV508

I've used the Parrot 3200 LS for 4+ years and it's still going strong. I put the display/controller in the little slide out box below the CD player, where it's actually hard to see, but when the car is moving I usually just use the buttons to receive or make calls.

There was no adaptor harness for the Parrot kits back then so I built my own, which was a huge PITA (as you will see from the post here. Since the install I've gone through 2 more Blackberries and I use the native Blackberry voice dial now (which has gotten really good). I also moved the mic to the preferred position above the rearview mirror.

The Lexus sound system is amplified and uses different plugs than a standard ISO installation so you need some kind of adaptor. I don't know how the harness interacts with the audio system so I don't know if you'll be able to use the iPod/Bluetooth streaming audio through the speaker system or not (for that I have a VAISTECH box that also has been going strong for 4+years). I think the Quickconnect harness also requires you to manually connect to an external speaker (which my complicated install does not).

The MKi kits are really good; we bought one for my dad a couple years ago and they work well with his iPhone. They are really good about releasing firmware updates to correct issues that crop up as phones get more and more complicated.

1990LS400 is right though you really should place the display somewhere that's easy to see; the Mki kits have a separate controller so that's easier. Good luck!

just inherited my fathers 2002 LS 430 with 30,000 miles on it. the car is a dream to commute in and gets way better gas mileage than my 4x4 tundra. The one feature my tundra has that i miss is the blue tooth, thru the stereo system. Best Buy says they can install a parrot system for about 400 dollars. Just wondering if anyone has installed the system on a 2002 ls . I dont want the interior all cut up. I think that I could hide a device in the ashtray, since i will never allow smokers to enter my cars. If you have had such a system installed , please let me know how it worked out for you. I want to avoid those 200 dollar fines for using my cell phone while driving

thanks ahead of time

I've used the Parrot 3200 LS for 4+ years and it's still going strong. I put the display/controller in the little slide out box below the CD player, where it's actually hard to see, but when the car is moving I usually just use the buttons to receive or make calls.

There was no adaptor harness for the Parrot kits back then so I built my own, which was a huge PITA (as you will see from the post here. Since the install I've gone through 2 more Blackberries and I use the native Blackberry voice dial now (which has gotten really good). I also moved the mic to the preferred position above the rearview mirror.

The Lexus sound system is amplified and uses different plugs than a standard ISO installation so you need some kind of adaptor. I don't know how the harness interacts with the audio system so I don't know if you'll be able to use the iPod/Bluetooth streaming audio through the speaker system or not (for that I have a VAISTECH box that also has been going strong for 4+years). I think the Quickconnect harness also requires you to manually connect to an external speaker (which my complicated install does not).

The MKi kits are really good; we bought one for my dad a couple years ago and they work well with his iPhone. They are really good about releasing firmware updates to correct issues that crop up as phones get more and more complicated.

1990LS400 is right though you really should place the display somewhere that's easy to see; the Mki kits have a separate controller so that's easier. Good luck!

thanks ahead of time

• 2 months later...

There is a lengthy thread in the SC430 section on ClubLexus about a Parrot MKi9100 install. It's probably from a couple of years ago but you can find it by searching that section for "Parrot".

A lot of people hide the Parrot display in the ashtray but I think it would be more useful if it was higher up. I have long planned to install a Parrot MKi9100 in my 2000 LS400 but my old phone and kit hasn't given up yet. When I do install the Parrot, I will mount the display on the left side of the instrument cluster just below the fuel guage so I won't have to take my eyes off the road as much.

If you have any mechanical skill (and time), consider doing the install yourself with an interface harness from Parrot. It's probably a "7" on a 1 to 10 scale of difficulty. I have had very poor luck with "professional" phone kit installers and ended up repositioning most of the components in two cars.

Edit: The ClubLexus thread on installing a Parrot MKi9100 in an 02 SC430 using an interface harness is at http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/441563-1-stop-bluetooth-ipod-solution-for-02-sc.html

And here is a thread where I supplied documents from member jainla about installing an older Parrot in an LS430 without using an interface harness - hardwiring it: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59114&st=0&p=380651&hl=parrot&fromsearch=1entry380651

Search this forum for "Parrot" and you will find other threads.

I have this exact system in my 04 and works very, very well. I put the display inside my dash binacle, as far to the right as it will go. I can see both digital displays beneath the gauges with this set up. I mounted the remote to the left of the window shade button on the console. Just remember to slide the remote of it's little bracket before letting guy's wash your car. The selector knob comes off easily and you have to order a new one from Parrot if you can't find it. Personal experience from several misadventures at the car wash. The sound is great as well as the voice recognition, I would just recommend spending the extra money to get a LS430 specific harness to secure a solid, clean connection.