Planning To Buy A 2004gx

bday

Hello everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my rx300 to a 7,8 seater. I had my heart set on the GX until I did some reading on these message boards. I don't see any competition worth looking at..ie volvo and mdx.. However, the thumping noise (mostly) and the wind noise is holding me back. Does this only affect some GXs or all of them? I was hoping to get lucky and buy one without problems. Is this possible? Most people on other boards rate this truck an 8+ and consumer reports has it as a recommended buy. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Should I buy or wait until 2005? :huh: Thanks!

Well, I guess it depends on how bad you want to own and drive a GX. I waited six months to get the KDSS and backup camera. If that wait moved into May, I would have waited for the 2005. My truck has none of the vibration or rear end thump problems but it is a "E" build and took delivery on the 21st of this month. There will undoubtedly be additional features released with the 2005 model but the 2004 with the Navigation, Levinson, Rear Seat Entertainment and useless third row seat is good enough for me.

Hello everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my rx300 to a 7,8 seater. I had my heart set on the GX until I did some reading on these message boards. I don't see any competition worth looking at..ie volvo and mdx.. However, the thumping noise (mostly) and the wind noise is holding me back. Does this only affect some GXs or all of them? I was hoping to get lucky and buy one without problems. Is this possible? Most people on other boards rate this truck an 8+ and consumer reports has it as a recommended buy. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Should I buy or wait until 2005? :huh: Thanks!

I have no problems at all. No thumping. smooth ride with no vibration. This vehicle meets and surpasses all of my expectations. More than anything it has a silky smooth powerplant and a very comfortable interior. Sometimes I think that people expect way to much. In something as complex as a vehicle such as this there are bound to be a few that run into issues. The ones who are happy, such as myself, don't make noise, so the ones with issues get all of the attention. Human nature and a car company's nightmare. :P

I would buy a GS without hesitation even after hearing the stories on this board.

You can't really take what is said on here as a true representation of whats happening the GX's all over the place. IMHO people on here get sometimes rediculously critical of these cars because they're "Lexus" and should be "perfect". Any car is a machine...

Hello everyone,

Hey

Well i bought a 04' Lexus in Jan. And let me tell you its a beautiful SUV. I've driven almost every jeep out there... i owned a Range Rover before this one... but nothin compares to the GX. I think mainly coz of its size (with more then needed power) and some company leading features.

I suggest you take it for a long testdrive... and see how it feels... if you like the feeling.... just BUY it.

The only problem i had with it since is ... just a chip on my windshield.... but you can't help it .. really

Back again... What's a good price in California? I checked KBB with the options that I want (NAV, Third Row, DVD). The retail price is $52,784 and the invoice price for all options is $45,501. I hear some people on other boards say $3,000 less MSRP and some $3,000 over invoice. What should I begin bargaining with? Invoice or MSRP?

Thanks.

I UNDERSTAND YOUR RESERVATION. I WAS VERY INTERESTED IN BUYING THE GX UNTIL I STARTED READING EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE. I WAS ALMOST SCARED AWAY. I BOUGHT MINE AND HAVE HAD NONE OF THE PROBLEMS THAT ALL OF THESE PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. I LOVE IT AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER.

Generally you always want to work your way up from invoice. I would start by offering $1,000 over and then asking for a counter-offer, you and the dealer will be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

Hello,

You know, I am looking to purchase one too. I am in Canada and the dealer is asking US$56,446 (including approx. US$1,000 freight and delivery) for the higher end version with the DVD & GPS Navigation. If it was not for the "wrong side swing shoulda on the other side swing" rear hatch and the lack of a parking sensor option in Canada, I would have put down a deposit right there and then after a test drive today. It is silky quiet, good handling (for an SUV), lots of power, etc. when compared to the BMW X5 3.0i, Volvo XC90 T6 ... comparably equipped / priced.

What is slowing my purchase is the door and the sensor ... and I thought I better go home and do a search on the internet. Sure enough, I found this web site to be very informative with both sides of comments on the same subject.

As a potential buyer, I tend to believe the the issue described here with the rear axle and the smell. Knowing a little bit about manufacturing and quality systems, the issue with the axle is no excuse. I expect small problems like the cup holder does not fit properly, the roof rack is too hard to adjust, the air vents does not stay in the up position when going on rough road, etc. However, the rear axle is a major component and they should have tested the design and sorted it out during development. For the smelly air conditioner, both of my current automobile (neither are Lexus) have the same problem. One of them actually have electronics to automatically run the fan at full blast for 5 minutes or so after a predetermined time the ignition is turned off. It is my '97 Volvo 850. Thus, it is mildew/fugus issue in ducts and it is a design issue - not how well it is made given a particular design. Thus, no excuse either.

I am going to have a lot of talk with the sales person on top of the price. Would I still buy it? May be - pending price, available options, and defects discussions. But it just went from a must buy down to a may be. :) Also, appreciate all the questions and answers here on prices too! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my rx300 to a 7,8 seater. I had my heart set on the GX until I did some reading on these message boards. I don't see any competition worth looking at..ie volvo and mdx.. However, the thumping noise (mostly) and the wind noise is holding me back. Does this only affect some GXs or all of them? I was hoping to get lucky and buy one without problems. Is this possible? Most people on other boards rate this truck an 8+ and consumer reports has it as a recommended buy. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Should I buy or wait until 2005?  :huh:  Thanks!

Hello,

You know, I am looking to purchase one too. I am in Canada and the dealer is asking US$56,446 (including approx. US$1,000 freight and delivery) for the higher end version with the DVD & GPS Navigation. If it was not for the "wrong side swing shoulda on the other side swing" rear hatch and the lack of a parking sensor option in Canada, I would have put down a deposit right there and then after a test drive today. It is silky quiet, good handling (for an SUV), lots of power, etc. when compared to the BMW X5 3.0i, Volvo XC90 T6 ... comparably equipped / priced.

What is slowing my purchase is the door and the sensor ... and I thought I better go home and do a search on the internet. Sure enough, I found this web site to be very informative with both sides of comments on the same subject.

As a potential buyer, I tend to believe the the issue described here with the rear axle and the smell. Knowing a little bit about manufacturing and quality systems, the issue with the axle is no excuse. I expect small problems like the cup holder does not fit properly, the roof rack is too hard to adjust, the air vents does not stay in the up position when going on rough road, etc. However, the rear axle is a major component and they should have tested the design and sorted it out during development. For the smelly air conditioner, both of my current automobile (neither are Lexus) have the same problem. One of them actually have electronics to automatically run the fan at full blast for 5 minutes or so after a predetermined time the ignition is turned off. It is my '97 Volvo 850. Thus, it is mildew/fugus issue in ducts and it is a design issue - not how well it is made given a particular design. Thus, no excuse either.

I am going to have a lot of talk with the sales person on top of the price. Would I still buy it? May be - pending price, available options, and defects discussions. But it just went from a must buy down to a may be. :) Also, appreciate all the questions and answers here on prices too! :D

hey

i live in canada as well and i got mine imported in jan 2004... if you need any help with importing the car... or any questions related to it.. lemme know

I wanted to comment on the "door swings the wrong way" comment. I too, had thought this was an odd way to locate the door on the back of the GX. The fact that the door hinges are against are on the curb side, thereby making the user stand on the street side to open the door. But, in reflecting on this issue, it struck me on how sensible this is. If you open the door and your vehicle is on a slant (which is usually the case if you are curbside) the door will not swing back into you. With the door opening on the curside, gravity will keep the door from swinging back in and catching you just were you do NOT want to be. If the door, did open on the other side, I guess there would be people complaining on this site about how the were injured when a passing car's gust of wind slammed the door onto them as they were stooping over.

IMHO .... :)

Okay. Just want to thank everyone. I think I am going for an X5 on the price thing too. Weighing on comparable features and comparable priced vehicle, my heart have changed to the 2004 X5 4.4i ... panorama moonroof, 6 speed automatic w/steptronic, comparable towing power, 16/22 mpg, better handling, new xDrive, Soft Closing rear tailgate, etc. Going to the dealer tomorrow to begin negotiations. Will aim for about US$51,500 at today's exchange rate ...

On the door hinge issue, I noticed that most people who have the side swinging rear hatch swings the same side as the GX ... Honda CRV, Toyota RAV 4, Chevrolet Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick. I suppose there is merit to a side swinging rear hatch.

Thanks again. :D :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to comment on the "door swings the wrong way" comment. I too, had thought this was an odd way to locate the door on the back of the GX. The fact that the door hinges are against are on the curb side, thereby making the user stand on the street side to open the door. But, in reflecting on this issue, it struck me on how sensible this is. If you open the door and your vehicle is on a slant (which is usually the case if you are curbside) the door will not swing back into you. With the door opening on the curside, gravity will keep the door from swinging back in and catching you just were you do NOT want to be. If the door, did open on the other side, I guess there would be people complaining on this site about how the were injured when a passing car's gust of wind slammed the door onto them as they were stooping over.

IMHO .... :)

I have a good idea on the door deal; The car is from a Japanese maker. In Japan you drive on the left side and when you need to load items from the curbside thew door opens on the correct side By the way I think I have loaded from the curb twice in 10 years. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

hello iam new here but you got the answer right; the gx is actually the prado in all other parts of the world and was originally a right hand drive until they decided to ship to the us also many many people are short and can not reach the lift up hatch which is another reason they have the swing gate; dont laugh or get angry at me it true the prado had this door for many years and if it was a problem they would not have put it on the Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the door hinges are on the curb side so the door stays open while loading it. The street slants toward the curb. If the door hinged on the side away from the curb then the door tend to close itself on your arm while loading it up. So it is a safety concern. So they hinge it on the curb side.

-Brian

I used to complain a lot to the salespeople about the GX rear door before my truck arrived. Now, even though I park the truck on the left side of the garage, walking around the door while unloading stuff has never been an issue (California weather helps some). I rented a Toyota 4Runner a few weeks ago while on vacation and that back door is NOT easy to close. It takes quite a tug on the rope to get the door down and a firm push is required to close it. A power rear door like on the RX330 is what I would like to see on the GX, although, I have had problems figuring out what sequence to use on the loaners. The power door doesn't respond to the remote like a normal trunk release for whatever reason.

Considering the high center of gravity and comparing it to the 2003 GX test drive, ES330 and GS400 I used to own, the GX handles really well on flat corners and in the mountains. The sway bars on a KDSS truck are quite large in diameter. I don't normally drive in the "Sport" mode. It was worth waiting the five months. Other people on the forums have some glowing reports on KDSS (not off road usage) since they have a SUV basis for comparison. I have not taken the truck off road.

You cannot get the factory towing package on a KDSS equipped truck. There are, however, after market towing setups that will work. Either this forum or the Club Lexus forum have threads on this subject.