How Can The Driver Turn On The Cabin Light While Driving?

timzter

I have been driving my 2010 Lexus ES350 for 1.5 years and I still don't know how to turn on the cabin light while driving (or while I am stopped at the traffic light). Most non-luxury cars have a light on the ceiling of the car right about the middle of the roof which can be manually turned on by pushing a lever switch. There is no such light in the ES350. How do I illuminate the back seat area while I am driving (assuming there are no back seat passengers) or when I am stopped at the traffic light?

I have been driving my 2010 Lexus ES350 for 1.5 years and I still don't know how to turn on the cabin light while driving (or while I am stopped at the traffic light). Most non-luxury cars have a light on the ceiling of the car right about the middle of the roof which can be manually turned on by pushing a lever switch. There is no such light in the ES350. How do I illuminate the back seat area while I am driving (assuming there are no back seat passengers) or when I am stopped at the traffic light?

My ES350 has a sunroof so there's no dome light but I dont know if other 350s without sunroofs have dome lights. Mine has two lights under the dash that light up the front floor area and two lights on the bottom of the rear doors for the back floor area.

The only way I can get any of those lights to come on it to unlock the car with the remote or open the doors.

My ES350 has a sunroof so there's no dome light but I dont know if other 350s without sunroofs have dome lights. Mine has two lights under the dash that light up the front floor area and two lights on the bottom of the rear doors for the back floor area.

The only way I can get any of those lights to come on it to unlock the car with the remote or open the doors.

Mine has a sunroof too. Hmm....honestly I haven't yet inspected the back seat area, but I guess there is no way for a backseat passenger to turn on some light to read a book while traveling at night, for example.

There is a button on the overhead console that turns the overhead light on, plus you also have your two front passenger maplights, and the rear passenger's each have a maplight.

There is a button on the overhead console that turns the overhead light on, plus you also have your two front passenger maplights, and the rear passenger's each have a maplight.

But can I turn on the rear passengers' maplights from the driver's seat? For example, I am driving at night and there is toddler strapped to the back seat. He is crying while I am driving. I want to turn on the rear maplights so I can quickly turn around to see what's happening.

These buttons/switches are present on the ES350 with the sunroof. The rear seat map lights are built into the overhead handle and if memory serves me, can be controlled to come on or not when the doors open by the setting of the main switch in the overhead console.

A picture and explanation of all the interior lights is in the owners manual.

Paul

But can I turn on the rear passengers' maplights from the driver's seat? For example, I am driving at night and there is toddler strapped to the back seat. He is crying while I am driving. I want to turn on the rear maplights so I can quickly turn around to see what's happening.

No, there is no "All lights on" switch in a Lexus, but there are maplights back there the rear passengers can turn on.

One thing I would suggest, since I was rear-ended one time by a mother who did exactly that, turned around to look at their toddler while driving the car. I would stop the vehicle before I did that, and/or install a mirror that looks back on the rear seat so I can do that without taking my attention off the road.

So it turns out that Paul A. is right. There is, in fact, an "all lights on" switch to turn on the front and rear map lights on the ceiling at the same time. It is the first switch with the "light icon" (looks like a half "sun") right behind the 1st garage door switch. See the switch marked with a red circle in the attached image.

post-57792-0-41947000-1318298225_thumb.j

I'll have to try that switch. Did you try it? That turns on the overhead light, but shouldn't turn on the rear map lights or the front map lights.

Yes, I tried it last night. OK, I am not sure if "maplight" is the right word. I think it is called the "front and rear interior lights." All 4 lights at the same time. I didn't notice if it also turned on the footwell lights. But the whole cabin is definitely brightly illuminated. And yes, WHILE driving.

Yeah that's how mine works. In my Jeep however you turn the dimmer knob up all he way and EVERY light comes on, map lights, etc. That light turns the lights on that come on when the doors are opened.

I'm not sure what the point of your line "yes WHILE driving" was. If it was some sort of dig at me for what I said about not turning around to look at a baby in the back seat while hurtling down the road at whatever speed in a 4,000 lb weapon. I bet the woman who hit me, totaled her car and risked all our lives including that of her child won't do something so stupid again.

Yeah that's how mine works. In my Jeep however you turn the dimmer knob up all he way and EVERY light comes on, map lights, etc. That light turns the lights on that come on when the doors are opened.

I'm not sure what the point of your line "yes WHILE driving" was. If it was some sort of dig at me for what I said about not turning around to look at a baby in the back seat while hurtling down the road at whatever speed in a 4,000 lb weapon. I bet the woman who hit me, totaled her car and risked all our lives including that of her child won't do something so stupid again.

Oh no, you took it the wrong way. I emphasized WHILE I was driving to assert that it is something that can be done while driving, unlike, say, the navigation system which prohibits you from typing in an address or entering a new stock symbol while driving.

Not sure if the ES has the conversation mirror or not? My GX has it...it is great for the kids. Where your sunglass holder is it drops down and the mirror lets you see the back seat passengers. This helps out with the kids...when they are screaming to the top of their lungs! :cries:

Not sure if the ES has the conversation mirror or not? My GX has it...it is great for the kids. Where your sunglass holder is it drops down and the mirror lets you see the back seat passengers. This helps out with the kids...when they are screaming to the top of their lungs! crybaby.gif

No it doesn't. My Toyota Sienna has it though, kind of a nice feature.

Oh no, you took it the wrong way. I emphasized WHILE I was driving to assert that it is something that can be done while driving, unlike, say, the navigation system which prohibits you from typing in an address or entering a new stock symbol while driving.

Ah! Sorry about that, I retract my sarcastic response ;)