Replace Aftermarket Radio Back To Factory Radio?

flanker271

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a 92 LS 400. The previous owner had the origional factory radio removed because it doesn't have a cd player. This LS 400 has a Pioneer AM/FM Cassett system instead. I don't really like the current aftermarket radio because first of all, it can only load one cd at a time. Second of all, it just doesn't "look" right inside a LS 400.

My question is, is it possible, in anyway, to replace this aftermarket radio back to the original factory radio, but this time with the one that has the CD changer? As you know, my LS 400 is not equipped with a CD changer in the trunk. Instead, there is a rectangular "hole" where the changer should be. Is it possible to install a changer in that location? And will the wirings be compatible?

Thanks for your support!

I'm getting sick and tired of having to change the CD one at a time while driving. Its both unsafe and annoying.

yeah it is possible to put the original one back in. usually installers leave the original harness intakt so you just get the radio and swap it right in. as to the cd changer install contact member mig25. he installed original cd changer into his LS

If your main issue is that your current Pioneer CD player can handle only a single CD, check the back of the radio to see if it has a plug receptable for a Pioneer six CD changer. For example, I was recently surprised to find out that Toyota audio systems with the single CD unit can also accept a changer for a total capacity of 7 CD's.

Whether or not you revert back to the original LS Pioneer radio, you might consider putting the CD changer under the passenger seat since running a cable to that location would be relatively easy. Plus it is nice to not have to open the trunk to pop it a different CD cartridge. And you would not have to worry about water getting into the CD changer -- the early LS's trunks leaked rather badly.

Thank you all for the information. I went to the form archive and found a post that mentioned about this CD changer conversion. In the post it stated that first of all, I need a CD Changer capable Pioneer radio. Secondly, it wants 2 plugs and a 14 foot cable that plugs into the Pioneer radio end and the CD Changer end. This is the part I don't understand. According to the post, the "plugs are hard to find." Are they not available in Lexus Dealer Parts Store? I want to know if I have to ask someone to custom make the plugs for me, which is a hassel, before I get the CD Changer.

Thanks!

Pioneer dash units have custom DIN cables and they are a royal pain. Once I had to pay around $70 for my Honda's Pioneer cable (direct from Pioneer) that connects the dash unit to a trunk mounted changer.

I found this LS400 Radio on eBay, but I don't know if its Cd Changer capable. I asked the seller and he doesn't know either. Can someone follow this link below and tell me if it is CD Changer capable? There is a nice photo of its rear, but I don't know which plug is for the CD Changer cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2463493749

Your description of your '92 LS400 audio system is confusing. If their is a cutout in the right side of the trunk I'd be willing to bet that your LS400 came with a cd changer and the original Lexus head unit had cd controls. Only way to know for sure is check the trunk and the dash for the plugs, three for the head unit and one in the trunk for the cd changer. Four Door.

I just come across an interesting thought:

Will a 90-94 GS400 radio fit on a LS400? I checked and re-checked to see that they are identical in every dimension, except for the buttons on the deck. Are the plugs the same also?