My First Time ( Oil Change ) - Advice/concerns Please

KayDee

I don't see a replacement drain plug "crush washer" on your list. (Assuming they are used on the RX as on most vehicles made by Toyota.) I buy OEM oil filters by the 10-pack and the Toyota dealer parts guy I buy them from always throws in 10 crush washers.

Some people reuse the crush washer but they are not meant to be reused. I reused a crush washer only once and got a drip ... drip ... drip of oil.

Got the drain pan and the drain plug you are referring to is the one that comes with the Filter I guess....It's a small plastic part.

Also I bought 4.4 litre bottle of Oil. How much oil should I put in ?

Got the drain pan and the drain plug you are referring to is the one that comes with the Filter I guess....It's a small plastic part.

Also I bought 4.4 litre bottle of Oil. How much oil should I put in ?

Isn't the oil change amount listed in the gas station information section of your owners manual?

The amount of oil that is changed is always less than the total capacity so there are likely two figures listed in your owners manual as there are in the one for my LS.

However ... since you may not get a full drain of the old oil, first add less new oil than the stated amount. Verify that the oil level on your dipstick is between the add and full marks and then idle your engine for a few minutes. Shut the engine off, wait a few minutes for the oil to drain into the sump and then check the dipstick again. Add more oil if necessary. Repeat this process as necessary.

I sometimes drive a few miles before I check the oil level for the last time and add just a bit more to bring it to the full mark on the dipstick. It does not hurt if the oil level is a little below the full mark.

A Sunday ritual of mine is to check the fluid levels in our vehicles and to correct if necessary - engine oil, radiator coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid. Every few weeks I check tire pressures - more often than that if there has been a substantial temperature change or if I am going on a longer trip. As we move into Winter with colder temperatures, air has to be added to keep tire pressures correct since tire pressure change about 1 psi for each 10 degrees of ambient temperature change.

The quantity is 6.4 qts. But only put in 6, then check. You can always add more, but it's a !Removed! to remove if you overfill.

You will also need a oil drain plug washer, and you really should use a torque wrench to set the torque specs correctly. Also, I really wouldn't use that oil filter wrench. The filter housing is aluminum and soft. You can use the OEM part, I think it's on amazon for 18 bucks, or get a filter cap Use a 65mM/67mM cap-style oil filter and the 3/8” socket wrench.

correct tool:

315274398NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

will also work:

31sIzlnR%2B0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This video is much better. It's for a Camry, but same thing...