New Member Brake Question

Hi everyone,

I justr stumbled across this site while trying to find out info about my car. I cannot beleive the amount of great nfo there is here. :D I have a 98 GS300, which is by far the greatest car I have ever owned- until I win the lottery and buy a newer GS.

Hopefully, someone here might know about my problem or have some suggeestions. Do any of you Lexus Guru's have any experience with master cylinder boosters? Mine is about shot, and the dealership requested that I give my first born and other body parts to have it replaced.

Does anyone know anyplace that sells after market boosters? Rebuilt boosters? willing to rebuild boosters? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for anyo info.

Fish

Hey Turbo, I have actually tried all of these with no luck so far. Still looking, but was hoping with the larger group of enthusiasts here, someone might have stumbled across something that might help.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and I will keep checking ebay.

Fish

What is is that you actually need? I assume you're talking about the hydraulic pump that is part of the booster unit? From what I gathered in the past, big-$$$ and not a seperately available part from the master cylinder.

For the longest time I thought I had a problem; every 8th. - 10th. application of the brake, the car (a '98 GS300) jerks a bit when the booster pump kicks in. I checked out 3 other '98's. They all did the same exact thing.

What is the problem with yours? I'm just curious...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey GuyTelefunken,

Sorry about the dalay in getting back to you and thank you for your response. I first noticed a problem when braking from relatively high speeds on the interstate. It would shake sort of like needing rotors turned.

Lexus delaership said Master cylinder booster. Took it somewhere else, and they said the same thing. The new place tried a rebuild kit, but will still not pump enough pressure. I am not real familiar with these and was a little shocked when I was told the price. Don't have that kind of $$$ and even though over 100k miles on the car, I am dying without transportation. :(

Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find one without having to go through Lexus? I've tried ebay and every place I can find in Central Florida but no luck. Its a 98 GS 300.

I really appreciate any advice anyone might have.

Fish

Why am I inclined to say, "go fish?" :whistles:

I, like you, have exhausted a lot of time looking for this holy grail. I have yet to find one. But on the other hand, I have realized that I most likely do not need one. Sure my pump seems to run frequently, and yeah I get a little jerk now and then. The brakes do stop well and never give me any indication that they won't. If I get to that point, I will be trading this "unfun to drive" car in for something else. I just cannot justify $1000+ to replace a component of the braking system which I feel has been overdesigned from the get-go. On vacuum assisted brake-booster equipped cars, sure the master cylinders fail. But when they do, you usually don't have to remortgage the farm to replace or rebuild them.

I'm still trying to justify the reasoning behind integrating all of the components (master cylinder, booster pump, etc.) into one ultra-expensive unit. Perhaps I'm being nitpicky, but I like seperate componentized systems. Part breaks, part is replaced. But alas, we must figure it from the manufacturer's point of view; $$$. It's easier to integrate parts into a single unit, and cheaper as well. <_<

Here's a link I have used successfully for other makes' parts. Give it a try, maybe you'll get lucky! http://www.junkyarddog.com/

• 3 weeks later...

thanks GuyTelefunken, I appreciate the link. Was hoping there may be some clues to the grail around. Anyway, I agree, overbuilt and ocerpriced system and have really had a hard time justifying the price they are asking for a braking component that would not be more than a couple hundred bucks on any other car.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :D

Fish

• 2 months later...

Fish , I have a brake booster/master cylinder unit that came off a wrecked 00' gs400 with 16K miles , which is the same unit you have on your gs3 . This is like brand new . Let me know if interested .

hi tuttz, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I already bit the bullet. I am sure it will come up again with another member though and a search will reveal this thread. Thanks again,

Fish

• 10 months later...
Fish , I have a brake booster/master cylinder unit that came off a wrecked 00' gs400 with 16K miles , which is the same unit you have on your gs3 . This is like brand new . Let me know if interested .

have any more....need brake booster for 2000 gs300