2007 Rx 350 Came With 18" Wheels

A few months ago I purchased a 2007 RX 350 with 76k miles,now has 78k miles. Car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A P235/55R18 99V which means they are 18 inch V rated tires. I am looking for the most comfortable ride possible, as I spend alot of time driving. My better half thinks I should buy 17" wheels and non-V rated tires. We've always had great luck with Michelens in our 1998 Volvo x-c sport wagon, but before spending all of the money on tires and wheels, would like to get some opinions from some knowlegeable Lexus owners. As a side note I had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced, which I am not complaining about, although was wondering if I went to the smaller wheel and tire if that would significantly reduce the possibility of blowing out the wheel bearings again.

I recently replaced the OEM Michelins on my wife's 09 RX350 with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas (at Costco)...the same tires that are on my 07 Avalanche. They have worn INCREDIBLY well on the Avalanche, while the stock OEM Michelins on the RX were worn OUT at 32k miles, and they're supposed to be a 50k mile tire. I have SWORN by Michelin durability/wear in the past but this particular Michelin on her RX SUCKED (to put it bluntly.) The OEM tire was: Michelin - Energy™ MXV4® S8 - P235/55R18 99V. After our experience with these Michelins, I'm not sure I'll ever buy another Michelin tire.

As for wheel bearings wearing out, I can't imagine a smaller wheel making any difference...it's going to rotate faster, so, I would think, if anything, the bearing would heat up/fail faster..but I don't really think your wheel size had anything to do with the bearing failure.

BTW...the Bridgestones ride at least as smoothly (very smooth)as the Michelins did. The tread pattern is not overly aggressive, so they are quiet and smooth.

The OD of both the 17" and 18" would be the same actually. The 17" rims would simply have a thicker tire on them, making the overall diameter the same as what you've got now with the 18" rims.

My guess is that going with a 17" rim with thicker tire would give you a softer ride, but more body roll around corners.

The Michelins the RX came with, the MXV4 S8 are not what I would buy.

If you want the smoothest ride, I'd buy the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Much better tire than the S8, has a treadwear warranty (not sure who told Scott the S8 was supposed to be a "50k mile tire", it has no treadwear warranty), smoother and quieter than the S8.

You could go to a 17 inch tire (you could just buy the OEM 17s for the RX...

I just put on bridgestone ecopias, they are awesome, that is all I can say , quiet , solid , nice ride. Better than the MX4s that were on there

I have the 18's and mine is a 97 Rx 350

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago I purchased a 2007 RX 350 with 76k miles,now has 78k miles. Car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A P235/55R18 99V which means they are 18 inch V rated tires. I am looking for the most comfortable ride possible, as I spend alot of time driving. My better half thinks I should buy 17" wheels and non-V rated tires. We've always had great luck with Michelens in our 1998 Volvo x-c sport wagon, but before spending all of the money on tires and wheels, would like to get some opinions from some knowlegeable Lexus owners. As a side note I had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced, which I am not complaining about, although was wondering if I went to the smaller wheel and tire if that would significantly reduce the possibility of blowing out the wheel bearings again.

Both my '95 LS400 and my '01 "AWD" RX300 run on Summer only Bridgestone Turanzas all year 'round. Quiet and comfortable ride. Rear tire chains for the RX on rare, "as needed" basis.