2008 Ls 460 Amplifier

Any other 2008 LS460 or 460L owners had their amplifier gone out on them? Crazy as it sounds but I had mine just go out on my car and then the same week I was speaking to another 460L owner who his also went out...I was 52,000 and Lexus told me sorry but it's over the 50,000 warranty. I'm very upset since we pay huge $$$ for the "Great" Mark Levinson 19 spk system. OK Hold on to your seat for this one...a new Amplifier costs $2800.00. I would think there would be some sort of repair program available...take mine out, send it for repair, put it back in...

Where is the quality...At the same time I had mine recalled for the valve spring replacement, and have had the water pump replaced.

OK enough venting...back to my original question.

Thanks

Any other 2008 LS460 or 460L owners had their amplifier gone out on them? Crazy as it sounds but I had mine just go out on my car and then the same week I was speaking to another 460L owner who his also went out...I was 52,000 and Lexus told me sorry but it's over the 50,000 warranty. I'm very upset since we pay huge $$$ for the "Great" Mark Levinson 19 spk system. OK Hold on to your seat for this one...a new Amplifier costs $2800.00. I would think there would be some sort of repair program available...take mine out, send it for repair, put it back in...

Where is the quality...At the same time I had mine recalled for the valve spring replacement, and have had the water pump replaced.

Thanks

Clarification; did the dealer diagnose the amplifier as the problem, or did you or someone else determine that? The reason I ask, is that it is extremely unusual for an amplifier in a system only three years old to go bad. Whether it be in a Levinson, or a standard Lexus system. (It makes no difference whether the ML is in a LS460 or a ES350; an ML is an ML.)

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, if the amplifier is shot, there is no secondary market for parts. However, on this forum, we have a LOC approved vendor that specializes in Lexus audio parts and systems. His name is "dcfish". He may have an amp for you at a lesser price than the dealer. Otherwise, "ebay" would be your next best alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

A new one is your only choice at the moment. Or a junk yard one. Several of them have been replaced on both the regular and the L version.

I looked into this problem with the LS460 amplifiers a little further:

I talked to the audio man at my Lexus dealer and asked him if there is a problem with the Mark Levinson amp in the LS460. He said that the amps in that system have a high rate of failure and they see it all the time. The problem is that Levinson will not share any knowledge, schematics, diagrams, parts, or technical assistance since it is all proprietary and Levinson just license the product to Lexus. Consequently the dealer hasn't got a clue as to what is wrong with the amp or how to repair it. The only fix is a replacement.

To compound the problem, there are also no published specs. about the Levinson amp, even at the dealers. This means it is very difficult to even find an aftermarket amp for a replacement since you won't know the power draw, wattage, impedance(ohms) crossover, etc. And the amplifier in the LS460 is indeed diffrent from the amp in the ML systems in other Lexus models. It is more complex and powerfull than the others.

Wish I could give all of you better news.

• 1 year later...

I took Jeff's advice and contacted United Radio. They fixed my ML amp for $700. Lexus wanted $2,800 for a new one (not including diagnosis and installation). It took a week and I live in CA and United is in NJ. Nice service and the amp works like new again!

You will know that the amp is done if one of both of these situations are true:

1. You hear a click-click sound and/or high pitch sounds but no normal music/radio. It is otherwise dead.

2. Your 30A fuse on the passenger side is toast.

The amp is placed in the trunk on the right side next to the spare wheel. Open the trunk floor lid, unhook the wires on the back and remove three screws. There's a small black box with a wire attached to it. Leave that in the car. Otherwise your key is not recognized as present.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Can you offer some specifics on which screws to pull out and how? I accessed the amp, but it appears there are (2) in front - do they require a regular phillips or a special screwdriver? Where is the third?

Thank you.

Ray

Boston, MA

I took Jeff's advice and contacted United Radio. They fixed my ML amp for $700. Lexus wanted $2,800 for a new one (not including diagnosis and installation). It took a week and I live in CA and United is in NJ. Nice service and the amp works like new again!

You will know that the amp is done if one of both of these situations are true:

1. You hear a click-click sound and/or high pitch sounds but no normal music/radio. It is otherwise dead.

2. Your 30A fuse on the passenger side is toast.

The amp is placed in the trunk on the right side next to the spare wheel. Open the trunk floor lid, unhook the wires on the back and remove three screws. There's a small black box with a wire attached to it. Leave that in the car. Otherwise your key is not recognized as present.

Good luck!

I believe there are three screws holding the amp. One in the front one in the back and one in the back that is also holding a small black box. I may be wrong so if there's one more screw holding it losen that one too:-). You should not take the screws out of the brackets holding the amp but the screws holding the metal bracets to the car (i.e. leave the metal brackets on the amp). This part (taking the screws outgetting the amp out) is pretty straight forward. As said, take the amp out, after gently disconnecting all the wires on the back, and then reattach the small black box - otherwise your key is no longer recognized.

Let me know if you still have a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional information GreatDane. Others have had good luck with United Radio. They came highly recommende to me by a friend of mine who does car audio repair work.

Paul

You are welcome. I learned of United Radio on this site. It was quick, simple and easy. They pre-quoted the price when I called and I had it back in a week. No sales talk. Just "What amp to you have? Here's your quote. Send it to us and we'll fix it and send it back to you for that price". They did exactly that.