Alternator Going Bad? Please Look

DANNYDOO

This is the part number that is in the online parts book.  270605001184

So what is it that is "also says"  I didn't see anything that said that.

And where did you get the goofy numbers?

This is off the tag on one from a 91

27060-50011 and below that

100211-6350  and this unit looks like an original not rebuilt Denso.

jaswood: There is a specialty wire brush "set" available that can be used to burnish the battery posts and battery connectors. Both positive and negative connectors should be removed, cleaned, and burnished on an annual basis. There is also some felt pads/rings that can be installed over each post, under the connectors, to delay the onset of the corrosion.

I have owned 12 different LS400's, usually bought 2 at a time for me and my wife, last year I sold mine and now we have only one, due to our age.

I am 82, owned my own automotive shop for 30 years, and have used that specialty wire brush "set" in my shop AND was never informed it "should" be done on an annual basis.... and those stupid little felt washers that go on the post, only keep you from getting a good contact from cable to post... they are made to sell, NOT use... but, we just used "common sense" at our shop....

but you go ahead and tell us what we should be doing to our LS's.... I only wish they would gather up all your post and put them in a stickie, so we could find them all at one time..

• 3 weeks later...

well jaswood I have a little news for you, my 99 alt went out monday, Richardson Generator pulled it off it was oil soaked, cleaned it up, replaced the brushes put it back on and advised me to reseal the PS pump tuesday.... and I am going today to get it done.. for what ever that is worth

• 2 weeks later...

I did have a leak one time from a reman pump. So now when I do a ps pump I do some certain things to make sure it won't leak, old tricks and its against what anyone would say to do. So I'm hush on it.  I'll see how long it lasts.

21 hours ago, M.Yasir said:

Hi Billy

Could you please post a picture of that shield, it could save a lots of troubles to all the users around the globe for a small mod to save the alternator...

yes as soon as they remove the lower shield so I can get a photo, right now I dont need anything done... but I will.  used an ice cream "tub"  and cut it to fit for the connector and the three prong fitting on the back.

this is not mine but real close.....

img_20160405_175522493_24fbaf494fb4f2892dc889ccc7748ceb178cd9d6.jpg

• 11 months later...

I cut a plastic bottle to cover half right of the alternator hoping to shield it from leaking ps fluid. Although my alternator has lifetime warranty, I do not want to deal with the connector on the alternator. It is stuck and easy to break since it is too old.