New Lexus 2004 Gs430 Member Whose Already Sad

rena

I just bought a LEXUS GS430 black on black. The guy who had it put 4000 in mods. Seemed okay. The guy said it may need a CV joint. Had a mechanic look at it and it checked out.

Two days later I hear a thumping everytime I go over a bump on the passenger side only. THEN the engine light went on.

Im getting someone to check out the code. As for the thumping I dont know how the mechanic could have missed it. Maybe its a ball joint instead?

Im worried as I just bought the car. I figured its from toyota so Im hoping this is not going to be a money pit.

So you posted about this car on the LS forum originally, and I and another member posted back. Did you happen to read those replies?

You bought the car privately obviously - you have no recourse, no warranty, nothing. Toyota products are good for sure, but $4K in mods? Another bad sign. So what mods? Different wheels, lowered, may very well be the thump. And what kind of mechanic did the inspection?

At least you are on the right track talking to the folks here.

They guy who looked at it races cars and buys and sells cars from the states. Hes usually pretty good. Hes well known and expensive.

He says the engine light code showed a slow very small leak so he said to replace the gas cap and see if that changes. If not then he says its about 60$ to do a smoke thing where no matter how small the leak is, he will be able to find it.

I asked him about the thump and he was confused as he said the CV joint seemed tight and the ball joints were fine. But yet that is the same sound I am hearing that I had on another car and it was I believe ball joints. : (

No the car hasnt been lowered fornutely. The lights are those specialized white lights that move when the car moves. I have no beams because of this. I cant remember all that was done. There seems to be new arms? under the car too.

I thought it funny that the guy got mad at his brother when they came to show us the car. His brother had parked it and the wheels he had turned out. The left wheels seemed to be turned out in a funny angle I thought actually when I think of it. He kept looking at the wheel and saying thats not good dont park the car with the wheels out like that. Thats the side where I think the thump is coming from.

Would not my mechanic have noticed anything? Hes pretty good and well known.

....I thought it funny that the guy got mad at his brother when they came to show us the car....

I've been buying and selling cars for 35 years. In my experience it is usually the over-motivated seller that *brings* a car to you; this happens because they own a car they're having difficulty selling to people who *come* and look.

Red flag!

Good luck Rena, I hope this turns out OK for you.

The funny angle is a normal product of the steering geometry.

"Race car" mechanics have little business looking at modern cars. Importing cars from the US? Another red flag. Expensive means little.

I can't think of a "leak" that would produce a trouble code in this instance. Trouble codes have specific numeric identifiers, so he should have told you what the number was at least, and its description. CV joints are on the rear axle, the ball joints on the front. Which end was he looking at?

Find a mechanic with Toyota/Lexus experience.

Did you do an ICBC repair history?

I too hope it works out well for you.

If you have the code number you can google it as a diagnostic trouble code for OBDII systems, and that will tell you exactly what it means.

The rear axle is independent, so there are two "half-shafts" with CV joints at each end. All front drive cars have them too, and of course they articulate with steering, so they tend to be replaced more often. I've rarely heard of them wearing out on rear drive Lexus. Stand for "constant velocity".

Let us know what you find.