Replacement 16" Wheels For '02 Ls430 - Problems!

jambie

With apologies, I posted this in the LS430 forum, forgetting there was a tire and wheel forum.

The factory chrome wheels are flaking and corroding badly enough that it's hard to keep the bead sealed, and even harder to keep wheel weights on. Evidently my LS430 came equipped with larger front calipers, and my local Tire Discounters has no idea which aftermarket wheels will fit. Two of the styles they showed as a correct fit would not clear the calipers on the front. I don't want to get 17" or 18" wheels, because the 16" tires I have are basically new.

So, anyone know of a subtle-styled 16" wheel that will fit over the large front calipers on an '02 LS430?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Have you thought about having your wheels restored or buying a similar restored set on an exchange basis? Or just buying a set of non-chrome OEM 16" wheels and then having your chrome wheels restored for summer only use.

My 2000 LS400 Platinum Series came with the same 16" wheels that were standard on the 01-02 LS430. Personally, I think they are the best design used on any model year in the LS series. Nicely subtle and understated. My wheels are chrome too and the replacements I got in 2003 due to corrosion have never seen winter.

It is getting difficult to find new aftermarket 16" wheels that will fit a 95-up LS - companies like Tire Rack sell 17", 18" and larger wheels for our cars but no 16" wheels.

In 2003, I bought a set of aftermarket 16" wheels from Tire Rack to use with snow tires on my 00 LS. I wish I had bought OEM since the aftermarket wheels with their lips are easy to damage and the lips can't take rim weights. Rim weights cannot be used on many aftermarket 16" wheels when mounted on an LS due to the brake caliper clearance issue.

You might try eBay or a company like Phenix Wheel: http://www.phenixwheels-store.com/servlet/the-49415/2001/Detail

Or try Craig's List - I'm still kicking myself for not buying a set of like new OEM 16" wheels from a 2001-2 LS430 a few months ago for $200.

Have you thought about having your wheels restored or buying a similar restored set on an exchange basis? Or just buying a set of non-chrome OEM 16" wheels and then having your chrome wheels restored for summer only use.

My 2000 LS400 Platinum Series came with the same 16" wheels that were standard on the 01-02 LS430. Personally, I think they are the best design used on any model year in the LS series. Nicely subtle and understated. My wheels are chrome too and the replacements I got in 2003 due to corrosion have never seen winter.

It is getting difficult to find new aftermarket 16" wheels that will fit a 95-up LS - companies like Tire Rack sell 17", 18" and larger wheels for our cars but no 16" wheels.

In 2003, I bought a set of aftermarket 16" wheels from Tire Rack to use with snow tires on my 00 LS. I wish I had bought OEM since the aftermarket wheels with their lips are easy to damage and the lips can't take rim weights. Rim weights cannot be used on many aftermarket 16" wheels when mounted on an LS due to the brake caliper clearance issue.

You might try eBay or a company like Phenix Wheel: http://www.phenixwheels-store.com/servlet/the-49415/2001/Detail

Or try Craig's List - I'm still kicking myself for not buying a set of like new OEM 16" wheels from a 2001-2 LS430 a few months ago for $200.

Some good ideas! Searching Craigslist, I see many 17" and 18" wheels FS. Will any model year 17" 0r 18" LS430 wheel fit with my oversized calipers?

Cheers,

Tom

Will any model year 17" 0r 18" LS430 wheel fit with my oversized calipers?

Absolutely Yes ... but you will have to use lower profile tires to keep the overall diameter the same and the ride will get harsher as wheel size increases.