Problem With Tach & Speedo Needles!

spazzy67

Hey Guys!

I've had my 91 LS w/195k for 13 years and up to this point never had a problem with instrument cluster until recently. It started with my temp guage shooting up once in a while, but would get back to normal fairly quick. Then, the other day the Tach just stopped working.....was below zero & would only move a little when I rev the engine. After searching the forum & reading thru several posts related to the issue, I was surprised how many had problems with instrument cluster lighting & guages. The smack on the dash seemed like a good idea........whack, whack..... still no Tach..... but now I beat down my speedo needle, its below zero & not moving at all. uhhhhhhg!!!

Next I searched my Fav site... LexLS.com for a tutorial on Instrument cluster --------

Removal:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/elect...ntcluster.html

Disassembly:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/elect...sassembly.html

I was successful with both except for one problem.....

I hastily popped off the needles from the front...like an idiot :cries:

Now the wires are all unraveled and I noticed a small piece of the speedo needle is broke off at the base. It seems that the needles were loose on the pin it slides on to and needed to be secured better... Is this part of the rebuild??

My lights were all working previous to disassembly....wires are still connected...just unraveled.

I guess at the very least, I will need another needle for the speedo...

Anybody have a reccomendation for me?

Thanks, Paul

• 2 weeks later...