Msn "reliability" Ratings

chadmg7

I don't know if anyone has checked out MSN lately, but they have reliability ratings for each type of car. Before buying my 97 ES300, I researched a lot and found no major issues with the ES.

Well, I went on yesterday and now it has a red X through the engine for all 97-01 models; the red X basically means "bad."

I tried to access the website, but it will not work. I will try to post the web address when I get home. It is at www.msn.com and then you click "Autos" and it is the section called "Reliability Ratings."

It says something about the oil gelling up in the engine, and that it costs something like $4,000 for parts alone? Is that right? Anyway, I am a little concerned that this might be a problem in the future. Is this a valid concern or is this really actually pretty minor? Thanks.

Seems like all Toyota 3-liter engines get this review.

Consumer Reports doesn't seem to notice it.

We used to have a 1999 Dodge Caravan. Transmisson gave up at 44,000 miles, engine threw a rod at 105,000 miles.

According to MSN, there's hardly anything wrong with it. Even I knew that the Dodge transmissions were suspect before we had trouble.

Consumer Reports owner surveys have revealed no problems with the '97-'01 engines, because the oil gelling problem is rare.

However, when buying a used '97-'01 ES 300, it is important to insist on seeing proof of oil changes

at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles. Oil Gelling never occurs if the oil is changed this frequently, but may occur if the owner stretches changes out to 7,500 -10,000 miles or more.

I actually really like the way they do their reliability ratings. If you click on the red X it will give you a full discussion of the problems and what causes them and what it will take to fix them.

Yes, I think the way they do their reliability ratings is very explanatory. I was just a little concerned that a red X was on there for the 97-01 ES. But, as someone clarified above, it is a rare problem so that makes me feel better about it. Thanks everyone!

Wow, that's an impressive service offer. I just wish it were longer than 8 years since my car is gettin' up there! But, 8 years is VERY generous! The only bad thing is that if you have a used car, like many lexus owners do, you might not have records of oil changes for each year, let alone each actual 3-month service.