Vsc, Vsc Off, And Engine Lights On

toytrain

Today warning lights VSC, VSC OFF, and Engine (check) light came on and won't go off. Car seems to run fine. Turning on/off VSC has no effect. Anyone had this before? Tried searching forum for VSC but 3 letters won't work in search.

It must probably be an electrical problem. Read somewhere where gas cap could trip.

Any help appreciated.

Check the computer code either at Autozone or with an OBD-II and you will find the code you need to repair to fix the "check engine" light. Several of the codes cause the "check engine light" and the VSC light to illuminate at the same time. Mine was an O2 sensor and after I replaced the sensor, I use the OBD tool to reset the check engine light. The "VSC" light was still on and I had to use the jumper described on this board (do some searching) to reset the VSC light.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply on my question. However, nowhere can I find location of Bank 2 sensor 1 in the engine compartment. I've looked and looked but no joy. I've got a 2003 but engine very clean. I've got the feeling it is under a heat shield or something. Could relly use a diagram/phot!

Any hints?

I know exactly where it is located. That is the one that brought my code in and I replaced it myself. Ordered one from ebay and it was only like $25. Bank 2 means passenger side exhaust and sensor 1 means the first sensor from the engine. Jack the passenger side up and look on the inside of the exhaust pipe right where the firewall turns up or where the passengers feet would be. The sensor is fairly easy to get to with the special socket you can get from an auto parts place for O2 sensors. Now the wiring plug is a different problem. It is snarled under the engine mount and plugged in up near the front passenger side of the engine near the bottom corner. I had to bend the mount that holds the plug to get it out and I tie wrapped it back up. After you replace the sensor, reset the engine code and then jumper the OBD II pins that is explained in another article to reset the VSC.

Thanks - that's a pretty good description. I bought a OBD II so am sure which sensor is trouble. Also have read article on jumping the plug pins. Now all I have to do is get my fat bod under the car (which I had been hoping to avoid doing). You've been a lot of help.

Today warning lights VSC, VSC OFF, and Engine (check) light came on and won't go off. Car seems to run fine. Turning on/off VSC has no effect. Anyone had this before? Tried searching forum for VSC but 3 letters won't work in search.

It must probably be an electrical problem. Read somewhere where gas cap could trip.

Any help appreciated.

The VSC sensor has gone bad. It happened to my 2002. Took it to Lexus and they fixed it in less than a hour. Don't know the cost as they fixed it under warantee. Good Luck.

• 2 years later...

Same thing on my 04 and the dealer said it was a misadjusted yaw sensor that had to be reset electronically...being a dealer, still charged me $80 for the "inspection" to find the problem. ouch.

I had VSC OFF and Check Engine lights on a few years ago on GX470. It appeared that it was caused either by the fuel cap not tightly closed or by having some snow coming in while the fuel cap was open after refilling the tank. I cleaned the code, closed the fuel cap until I could hear a click - and everything was OK after that.

It seems that the GX car computer check for the integrity of the fuel system and gets these lights on when it notices what it thinks is a leak (which is equal to the pressure in the fuel system being lower than usual e.g. due to the fuel cap not tightened). Try looking for the relevant topic on this forum (I believe it was around 2009), there was some other advice also.

I had this problem last summer and it turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. There are 4 sensors (Driver, Passenger, Upstream, Downstream), so an OBD-II should be able to tell you which sensor has the problem. Unfortunately, depending on the sensor and it's location, it could be an easy or complicated fix. Good luck to anyone that has this problem. I took mine to a local exhaust shop who changed my Bank2 Upstream (Passenger side) for about $100.

• 1 month later...

I used the procedures below posted by ALEX and it worked. I now no longer have the check engine light, VS light, and VSC Off light. I printed several copies of the procedures and keep it in my garage for future use, which undoubetdly I will need.

Again, Thanks ALEX

========

Zero Point Calibration
Using SST 09843–18040 which is the jump wire, any piece of wire you may find

The following procedure may be used in the cases where a Diagnostic Tester is not available.

IMPORTANT NOTE: While performing the Zero Point Calibration, do not tilt, move or shake the vehicle. The vehicle must remain in a stationary condition throughout the entire process. Be sure to perform the procedure on a level surface with an inclination of less
than 1%.

1. Ensure the shift lever is in the “P” range.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON.

3. Using SST 09843–18040, repeat a cycle of short and open between terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 4 times or more within 8 seconds (refer to the specific vehicle EWD for TS and CG pin location in the DLC3).

4. Verify that the VSC indicator light is lit indicatingthe recorded zero point is erased.

5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

6. Be sure the terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 are disconnected.

7. Turn the ignition switch ON.

8. Check that the VSC warning light goes off about 15 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON.

9. After ensuring that the VSC warning light remains OFF for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Connect terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 using SST 09843–18040.

11. Turn the ignition switch ON.

12. After turning the ignition switch ON, check that the VSC warning light is lit for about 4 seconds and then starts quick blinking at 0.13 second intervals.

13. After ensuring the blinking of the VSC warning light for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

14. Remove the SST from terminals Ts and CG of DLC3.

15. Drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes to confirm Zero Point Calibration is complete.

• 5 years later...

I own a 2002 Lexus sc430.  It has 135,000 miles on it.  Started missing a few months back and the check engine light and VSC light came on.  I had the VSC light fixed at a dealership last year solved the stalling issue.  But it came back on along w/ the check engine light and starting missing.  Had it scanned and they said mis fire on 4 and 6 cyclinder.  Bought all new plugs and coil packs and replaced those.  Cleared codes and lights off for one day.  VSC light and check engine light back on and starting missing again.  I am at wits end and dont know what to do.  Do yall suggest I have it scanned again?  TYNA!!!!

• 4 years later...