Transmission Fluid Dirty?

90LS400Lexus

In a few minutes, I am taking my car to the local Lexus dealer to have the transmission fluid and filter changed. Someone said that may be my problem with that "vert" sound I had when I would rapidly shift out of "lock-up mode" at 40-55 mph. The last time I took it to the dealer to have the oil changed- they said that the tech said that the fluid was very dirty and needed changed. I checked it when I got home and it looked OK to me. It was not the typical transmission fluid color (red) that I am used to using in my other cars, but it was a light color- about the color of fresh, new engine oil. It did smell like transmission fluid however and it did NOT smell burned. Could they possibly just be telling me this just to get an extra "sale"? What color does the fluid that is used in the Lexus transmission suppose to be? They also said that my "V-belt" was cracked and needed replaced, but me and my father looked at it and it looks fine to me. I did not see any cracks on either side of the belt. Also- when the previous owner had the oil changed 1000 miles before I bought it- the receipt from that repair shop stated that the owner requested all belts (V-belt) to be checked and replaced if necessary. The receipt then stated belt was fine and check 5000-6000 miles later at tire rotation. Looks like if it was indeed bad- like the Lexus dealer said- that the shop would have noticed it 3000 miles ago and replaced it then. Also- as I mentioned- I checked it and it looks OK to me. Any suggetions? Well, on my way to the Lexus dealership.....

Well, I took the car today and had the transmission fluid changed. It only took about 30 minutes. She said they had a lot of cancellations, due to bad weather. When I got in the car and started to leave- I noticed on the receipt that it showed "replaced transmission fluid , replaced all differential fluids". Total w/tax was $54.55. There was no mention on the receipt about the replacement of the filter. Was this not included? One would think that it would be - "TRANSMISSION SERVICE" to me means replacement of the fluid and filter. Maybe not- does anyone know? I thought that this may help to lessen my vibration problem- but no luck. :rolleyes:

I don't think they changed your transmission filter since your bill of $54.55 is too cheap for parts and labor ... heck, the trans filter and new gasket will cost you close to $50!! It sounds like they drained the pan (2~3 QTS) and the rear differential (1.5 QTS) and that's about it. I'm not sure why they said "replaced ALL differential fluids" since you only have one!!

The color of Type 4 ATF is bright red so It makes me wonder what kind of fluid you had in the transmission if it was the color of "fresh engine oil". Transmission fluid turns dark brown as it ages.

:)

That is what I was thinking. It seems crazy however- changing out the fluid and just putting a few quarts back in. About the gasket- shouldn't that be replaced after the one on there is pulled away? I know on some older cars- when the pan is removed- the gasket has to be replaced, because it breaks. If it starts leaking- I will take it back to them. I have no idea what was in there before. I have never seen transmission fluid that color either. One interesting note- when they told me that my fluid was dirty and needed changed- they mentioned nothing about it being an abnormal color. All of my previous cars used Dextron or Dextron-Mercon II, or the very few Fords I have owned used Type F. Those fluids are red and turn dark red or dark brown with age. The fluid in my car smelled like new transmission fluid and my transmission has always shifted perfectly and smoothly. It may have had a red tint to it, but it did not seem as red as the fluids I had seen before. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

When I changed the trans filter on my '95 SC the pan gasket was the orange silcone type ... I spent about an hour cleaning it off the pan and valve body and replaced it with a rubber reusable gasket. Check your gasket ... I bet it's the original silicone type too.

It seems crazy however- changing out the fluid and just putting a few quarts back in.

About the gasket- shouldn't that be replaced after the one on there is pulled away? I know on some older cars- when the pan is removed- the gasket has to be replaced, because it breaks. If it starts leaking- I will take it back to them. I have no idea what was in there before. I have never seen transmission fluid that color either. One interesting note- when they told me that my fluid was dirty and needed changed- they mentioned nothing about it being an abnormal color. All of my previous cars used Dextron or Dextron-Mercon II, or the very few Fords I have owned used Type F. Those fluids are red and turn dark red or dark brown with age. The fluid in my car smelled like new transmission fluid and my transmission has always shifted perfectly and smoothly. It may have had a red tint to it, but it did not seem as red as the fluids I had seen before. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

That is the proper service - to just drain and refill the pan. It's been the standard servicing procedure for Toyota automatics for over 35 years. In more recent years tranny shops and even sometimes Lexus dealers make a big sales pitch for "total fluid replacement", but there is not one piece of official Lexus or Toyota service literature that recommends or condones this more radical procedure which is far more profitable for the shop.

Unlike your Buick, a Lexus automatic typically has a metal transmission drain plug gasket that never needs to be replaced. Heck your Buick doesn't even have a drain plug since GM likes to cut costs

by not providing things like that.

Also unlike your Buick, a Lexus automatic has a metal filter screen that almost never needs to be cleaned (well maybe after 200,000 miles) and never needs to be replaced (unless torn which is rare)

And unlike your American cars, Lexus LS 400 automatics use a special Toyota specific Type T fluid

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typetb.jpg When fresh, this fluid has a light red tint when you let it drip onto a paper towel. As the fluid ages, it changes to a reddish-brown tint..

Thanks. So that is why it did not take that long to change the fluid. I did not know that it had a drain plug on the transmission pan. :wacko: I have had several Toyotas and Hondas in the past and I do not recall even the Toyotas having the plug. Perhaps just a Lexus deal? I do think I recall hearing someone mention that Mercedes also has a drain plug. About that screen- my car has 227,300 miles, but it still shifts perfectly, so I am assuming that it is OK? If I had of known there was simply a plug there to drain it- I should have done it myself. I sometimes think it is better to pay someone to do it, as I always seem to be busy. :rolleyes: If I can just get rid of that vibration I will be happy with this car. Thanks again!!

hey, i have a similiar problem. i changed the atf with valvoline's and cleaned out the screen, and my car shifted very hard. so i did the atf flush again with toyota's atf, and it got better, but not the same as before. i guess i stil have valvoline in there. a lesson well learned, and i thought i would share with you guys.

hey, i have a similiar problem. i changed the atf with valvoline's and cleaned out the screen, and my car shifted very hard. so i did the atf flush again with toyota's atf, and it got better, but not the same as before. i guess i stil have valvoline in there. a lesson well learned, and i thought i would share with you guys.

I think one of the few Syn ATF fluid that has good results is the Amsoil Brand....?

I use Amsoil for the engine and diffy but have stayed away from their ATF; the Toyota T-IV has synthetic additives and is best fit .

sc4,

Do another pan drain (or a couple more!) and the shifting should return to its normal -silky smooth - action :D

hey yeah, i think i will drain it, but it's a little more work for the pan drain, maybe i'll just numerously drain it through the drain bolt and just add more.

Yes, yes; Definately the bolt drain only (that's what I mean by "pan drain")

- don't go to any more trouble, a couple of those and your back in business :D

a Lexus automatic typically has a metal transmission drain plug gasket that never needs to be replaced

The drain plug gasket should be replaced whenever the drain plug is removed i.e. when the pan is drained ... Lexus sells the gasket for a few dollars. There are two kinds available, a copper or an aluminum gasket. My dealer sells the aluminum type. The torque spec on the transmission drain pan plug is important since it's easy to over torque (strip) the plug. The gasket is a crush type so I'd recommend against reusing it. Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX stripped my trans pan drain plug and they're supposed to know what they're doing!!

My '00 F-150 had a drain plug on the pan AND on the torque converter ... it sure made changing the trans fluid easy since almost all of the fluid (13 QTS) could be changed in the garage without special tools.

you mean washers?

Well, technically the "washer" acts as a gasket since it performs the job of preventing the ATF from leaking out past the drain plug but I'm sure we all know what we're talking about ... it's the copper or aluminum "washer" or "gasket" that forms a seal between the pan and drain plug head.

Well, technically the "washer" acts as a gasket since it performs the job of preventing the ATF from leaking out past the drain plug but I'm sure we all know what we're talking about ... it's the copper or aluminum "washer" or "gasket" that forms a seal between the pan and drain plug head.

i'm just looking for trouble :lol: although i have never changed my drain plug 'gasket' i never had it leak on me, but dont listen to me, you may not be as lucky.