Torque Strut Motor Mount 2000 Rx300

Domenico Nelli

I was wondering how many people actually have replaced this torque strut rod? The rubber on mine is starting to degrad showing signs of dry rotting. If you have replaced this item, did you get a Lexus part or aftermarket...I am wondering which is better. My car has about 120,000 miles.

Thanks

I got one from Rock Auto, I would think any replacement would be good...

Totally unrelated car....but i just helped my buddy put in some motor mount and torque strut in his kids 98 Cavalier....he had a hard time sourcing the parts locally and finally found them at a NAPA. so he brought them... I couldn't believe how cheesey they were compare to the original stamped steel motor mount brackets. In stead of being stamped, these "new" aftermarket mounts had the steel sheet metal folded and tack welded. In fact, it almost looked like I could pop the welds if i were to jam a screwdriver in it and pry a lil. needless to say, he opted to leave the original one in place as the rubber wasn't cracked or anything anyway. The torque strut seemed of cheaper quality too....I too had an experience with replacing my C1500 motor mounts where four months after replacement, one failed... these were from PepBoys. I got newer beefier ones and had to re do the job. I guess the moral of the story for me here is that I haven't had real good luck with aftermarket motor mounts which is why i posed the question. How did the rock auto torque strut compare to the Toyota/Lexus part u took out? did it seem, more cheaply made? the lexus strut is about twice as much as the aftermarket ones I saw online....so I was wondering.....

thx,

Domenico

I got one from Rock Auto, I would think any replacement would be good...

Totally unrelated car....but i just helped my buddy put in some motor mount and torque strut in his kids 98 Cavalier....he had a hard time sourcing the parts locally and finally found them at a NAPA. so he brought them... I couldn't believe how cheesey they were compare to the original stamped steel motor mount brackets. In stead of being stamped, these "new" aftermarket mounts had the steel sheet metal folded and tack welded. In fact, it almost looked like I could pop the welds if i were to jam a screwdriver in it and pry a lil. needless to say, he opted to leave the original one in place as the rubber wasn't cracked or anything anyway. The torque strut seemed of cheaper quality too....I too had an experience with replacing my C1500 motor mounts where four months after replacement, one failed... these were from PepBoys. I got newer beefier ones and had to re do the job. I guess the moral of the story for me here is that I haven't had real good luck with aftermarket motor mounts which is why i posed the question. How did the rock auto torque strut compare to the Toyota/Lexus part u took out? did it seem, more cheaply made? the lexus strut is about twice as much as the aftermarket ones I saw online....so I was wondering.....

thx,

Domenico

• 2 weeks later...