Black Smears On Lower Drivers Door Panel

I am the owner of my 2nd LS460; they have both been silver. My first was a 2007 and I traded it in for a 2010 LS460 Sport. I love my new car and it drives like a dream. I had a problem with my first car that was never rectified or explained by the dealer as to the cause. Since I decided to get rid of my 2007 for other reasons, I decided not to pursue the root of the problem. Well, low and behold, the new 2010 model has exactly the same problem, so I have decided that it must be a common problem to the whole LS460 line. Since I have experienced it with both of my cars, I assume that there have been many other owners who have seen the same thing and I am wondering if anyone has figured out what causes it and how to get it fixed.

Other than the instant front brake dust on my mag wheels from the Brembo brakes, I have only one other gripe and that is the same as that I had on my 2007. What happens is that a black smear appears on the drivers side rocker panel just below the door after it has been washed. This smear on my silver color looks like an oil stain or soot of some sort. It is about 8 inches long, extends from the top to the bottom of the panel, not on the door at all, and looks like an air spray has installed it. The last time I took it to the car wash it came home clean, but after a few miles it shows up again. I cleaned it off with Mom's car wax and it cleans up good, but leaves a black residue on the rage. It is not in the paint because it cleans off. I have no idea where it is coming from, but it is "exactly" the same problem as I had on my 2007 model. I complained about this problem on that car to Lexus and got no explaination. It blows my mind that I have the same problem on my 2010 and want to figure out how I can eliminate the problem. I am stuck with the black dust fromt he front disc brakes, but this smudge problem is one that should be fixable.

Is there anyone out there that has had this problem with their car and if there is, has anyone figured out what causes it or what can be done to fix it. I love my LS460 Sport Model and think that Lexus has put all the ingredients that I love into a single model. It drives like a sports car and has the power of a muscle car, yet it is quiet and gets great mileage for a powerful V-8. The interior is surpurb and I can only find a couple of things I would have done different. But I am convinced that there is no "perfect" car. Before I bought the Sport, I drove the BMW's and the Mercedes, but $ for $, the LS460 Sport has the best of all those others wrapped up into a single package.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the owner of my 2nd LS460; they have both been silver. My first was a 2007 and I traded it in for a 2010 LS460 Sport. I love my new car and it drives like a dream. I had a problem with my first car that was never rectified or explained by the dealer as to the cause. Since I decided to get rid of my 2007 for other reasons, I decided not to pursue the root of the problem. Well, low and behold, the new 2010 model has exactly the same problem, so I have decided that it must be a common problem to the whole LS460 line. Since I have experienced it with both of my cars, I assume that there have been many other owners who have seen the same thing and I am wondering if anyone has figured out what causes it and how to get it fixed.

Other than the instant front brake dust on my mag wheels from the Brembo brakes, I have only one other gripe and that is the same as that I had on my 2007. What happens is that a black smear appears on the drivers side rocker panel just below the door after it has been washed. This smear on my silver color looks like an oil stain or soot of some sort. It is about 8 inches long, extends from the top to the bottom of the panel, not on the door at all, and looks like an air spray has installed it. The last time I took it to the car wash it came home clean, but after a few miles it shows up again. I cleaned it off with Mom's car wax and it cleans up good, but leaves a black residue on the rage. It is not in the paint because it cleans off. I have no idea where it is coming from, but it is "exactly" the same problem as I had on my 2007 model. I complained about this problem on that car to Lexus and got no explaination. It blows my mind that I have the same problem on my 2010 and want to figure out how I can eliminate the problem. I am stuck with the black dust fromt he front disc brakes, but this smudge problem is one that should be fixable.

Is there anyone out there that has had this problem with their car and if there is, has anyone figured out what causes it or what can be done to fix it. I love my LS460 Sport Model and think that Lexus has put all the ingredients that I love into a single model. It drives like a sports car and has the power of a muscle car, yet it is quiet and gets great mileage for a powerful V-8. The interior is surpurb and I can only find a couple of things I would have done different. But I am convinced that there is no "perfect" car. Before I bought the Sport, I drove the BMW's and the Mercedes, but $ for $, the LS460 Sport has the best of all those others wrapped up into a single package.

I have had my 2003 SC430 for years and have had the black smudge below the door. My car is red and I keep it in tip top shape. Always garaged, never seen one drop of rain or one flake of snow.

I gave up trying to find out or figure out what causes it. I would like to know myself. Thanks for the post. I just never thought anyone else had the problem, and it always came off.

• 2 weeks later...

You went to a lot of trouble writing a detailed post asking for help, and then you never responded to a request for more information so we could try and solve your problem.

You have peaked my curiosity, but as CDuluk suggested, a picture would be a logical next step in helping others determine what your talking about and what it looks like.

Or did you already solve the problem??

Paul