1993 Ls400 Brake Replacement

Rusty

It's time for my 1993 LS400, 165K miles, to have it's brakes checked and most likel;y replaced. The indicator has come on and I don't know how old the brakes are since I bought the car used.

Is it OK to bring the car to a Sears, Meineke, Monroe, Firestone or Goodyear repair shop instead of the Lexus or Toyota dealer. I prefer to avoid the high cost at the dealers, if possible.

Does anyone have good or bad experience bringing their cars to a non-dealer shop for brake replacement?

I've always done brake work myself and prefer to stick with OEM Toyota brake pads...too many bad experiences with aftermarket ones and I have never noticed a significant difference in cost anyway. Here is a link to some instructions on how to perform various brake system procedures for your car:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/

If you don't feel up to doing the work yourself, I think an independent shop specializing in Lexus/Toyota would be your best bet.