Tail Light Out Indicator

Ja Wade

Hello all,

I've read many posts on the tail light out indicator that still shows even though all the bulbs are burning. I'm out of ideas and choose not to go opening up wiring harness to try and find broken wire.

Now I think I just want to remove the indicator bulb from the instrument cluster. Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks in advance!

JaWade

Before you start pulling the instrument cluster and if you have not yet done so, you might try replacing all exterior bulbs (except the headlight bulbs) including the bulbs in the high mounted stop light. The problem you are having can be caused by something as simple as a loose bulb filament or a corroded bulb base. If the rear bulbs have never been replaced, the glass globes of the bulbs are likely blackened beyond belief.

I recently replaced all the rear bulbs in our 98 Camry when one failed. We have owned the car since new and I am pretty sure that I had never replaced any of the rear bulbs before. All the rear bulbs looked awful even though, except for the one that had failed completely, they were still putting out light.

Agreed. It could be as simple as corrosion at the base of a bulb. Check all your bulbs, at any signs of moisture or corrosion replace the bulb, cleane the socket and pack it with dielectric grease. Additionally, it's possible the relay for the light out circuit is bad and requires replacement.

Thanks all for replies. I've checked all tail light bulbs and replaced most. The rest look very good.

One new item mentioned was potential "tail light relay" may be bad. I noticed Geek had Standard Motor Products 7524-05062426 for only $7. I think I'll try. Is this relay located under hood or dash?

I agree removing indicator bulb from cluster would be a pain.

Any words of wisdom for how to replace the 3rd stop light bulbs? Thks!

Go to your local harbor freight or northern tool and pick up a plastic prybar set. At the base of the subwoofer cover, very gently use one of the prytools to pry the grill up, once it's up there are a couple of hooks at the light end that you need to pull towards you. Once up, remove the bulb socket and check/replace the bulb. BTW, relay located under the dash.