Weird Starting Problem

ClarkWGrizwald

Hi guys, I haven't been here for awhile. Glad to see you all again.

Here is my latest problem. When I got my 02 SC430 last year, they (dealer)

cut me a new key so that is not the problem. But this month, if I put the key

in the ignition, and turn it to start the car, I can hear the solonoid making contact

but the car won't do anything. Not even an attempt to turn over. Turn the key to off

as if taking it out of the switch, restart and all is well. It is random. May not do it for

50 starts, then it will do it every time for 2 days. Can the dealer diagnose this? It definitely

is not repeatable on a regular basis. My feelings are defective ignition switch as just restarting

it works on the second try,as the starter doesn't move. Anybody else ever hear of this? I dont mind

taking it to the dealer to get it fixed, but previous history with them leaves the problem "working as

designed" or somesuch.The car is uner extended warrantee.

Thanks in advance.

in the ignition, and turn it to start the car, I can hear the solonoid making contact

but the car won't do anything. Not even an attempt to turn over. Turn the key to off

as if taking it out of the switch, restart and all is well. It is random. May not do it for

50 starts, then it will do it every time for 2 days. Can the dealer diagnose this? It definitely

is not repeatable on a regular basis. My feelings are defective ignition switch as just restarting

it works on the second try,as the starter doesn't move. Anybody else ever hear of this? I dont mind

taking it to the dealer to get it fixed, but previous history with them leaves the problem "working as

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

If you can hear the starter clicking, the problem is in the starter-guaranteed. "The car is under extended warranty" is the issue here. Warranty only pays 1.9 labor hours for a job that is a bit of a pain in the !Removed!. Try this-make an appointment with the dealer and request a loaner car. Don't bring the loaner back until they have identified and repaired the concern.

Thanks in advance.

I just replaced my battery. I found that my battery tended to drain down overnight. The Lexus system is designed so that the battery must be close to a full charge (within a couple of volts)if it is not, then you will get a clicking sound or if the battery is too low, you won't get any sound at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

Well, I dropped my car off on this past Wednesday. They gave me a 2010 Lx as a loaner, said they would put their best man on it and off I went. Thursday afternoon, they called and said they could not duplicate the problem, however the mechanic wanted to talk to me, as perhaps the service writer did not translate the problem in writing as to what I spoke to her. I told the mechanic it was a new key so I didnt think there was a communication problem between the chip and the car. As I am old school i explained I didnt know if starter had solenoids any more, but you could hear a solid click when you turned the key to start, except nothing happened when you did. Almost like you started the car in gear. In the old days I told him, it was if the solenoid wasnt closing or the starter wasn't spinning.Got a call Friday afternoon, they are replacing the starter but dont have one in stock so enjoy the loaner until by beloved SC is fixed.No muss, no fuss.I really didnt think they would find the problem as it was so hit or miss. Plus 1 for Warnock Lexus in Whippany New Jersey. I paid a lot of money for the extended warantee on my 2002 but have not paid dime one for every thing I have had to tweak on this car. Battery, stereo amp, trunk leak, trunk latch cable,and a lot of small things they fixed for free.

thanks for all the kind replies.