Help Me Please

Lex2431

Hello everyone,

I have a 1996 lexus es300 and tends to overheat when im in the city. Although, when im on the highway it goes back to the middle and stays cool. One time i got off an exit and it overheated quick and i pulled over and saw that i was leaking water from the left side of my engine,(if your looking down on it with the hood open)like little drops. I couldnt see where exactly because it was covered. Happens on really hot days(i live in CA). On the cooler days it doesn't overheat. THANKS!

You have a cooling fan. I am not familiar with the 96 model. If you have one fan it should cover the entire radiator area (along with the shroud). If that is so then it acts as both a cooling fan and an A/C fan. If it only covers roughly half the area then it's possible you are missing a fan. Either way, the fan sounds like the root cause of your overheating issues.

You have a cooling fan. I am not familiar with the 96 model. If you have one fan it should cover the entire radiator area (along with the shroud). If that is so then it acts as both a cooling fan and an A/C fan. If it only covers roughly half the area then it's possible you are missing a fan. Either way, the fan sounds like the root cause of your overheating issues.

Exactly, i just have one fan that covers almost the whole radiator. I may be the root issue, but i was also reading that it could be a sensor that controls the fans speeds and is unplugged. I just dont know where it would be. I checked under the hood and all sensors seem to be connected. If anyone has had a similar problem like mine and would like to provide a pic or diagram i would gladly give my life to you. If not, then i will take my life in the most disgusting manor(not srs). Im just hating life because i cant use the A/C in the 99 degree weather. Thanks for the reply mike!

If it's only happening when the AC is going it's not a sensor. The AC controller commands the fan to go to high speed when the ac is active. I don't know about your car. Mine has 2 fans. Typically the ECT is around the thermostat housing. Good luck.

If it's only happening when the AC is going it's not a sensor. The AC controller commands the fan to go to high speed when the ac is active. I don't know about your car. Mine has 2 fans. Typically the ECT is around the thermostat housing. Good luck.

Well no, my radiator tends to leak when i have the AC on and sometimes when im not going the over 65. When im in the city and i dont have the A/C on then everything is fine.

Leaks? From where? Oh, just re-read your original post. Sounds like you might have a leaky heater hose. Recommend you pressure test the system and see if you can pinpoint the source of the coolant loss. Sounds like it's losing just enough pressure to not handle the extra load of the ac.

Leaks? From where? Oh, just re-read your original post. Sounds like you might have a leaky heater hose. Recommend you pressure test the system and see if you can pinpoint the source of the coolant loss. Sounds like it's losing just enough pressure to not handle the extra load of the ac.

Yeah, i definitely think its leaking pressure because one time it overheated and i saw little drop coming from under the car. I dont have any compression tools:(. I think i might have to take it in somewhere.