Brake Assist

timzter

How does one test to make sure that the Brake Assist system is actually working? When I had my old 2006 Lexus ES300, when I was going downhill and I lightly stepped on the brake for a second or two, I could actually feel something kick in to further decelerate the car--a light jolt if you will. But in the 2010 Lexus ES350, I cannot tell if the Brake Assist is ever engaged. How does one test Brake Assist in the 2010 ES350?

How does one test to make sure that the Brake Assist system is actually working? When I had my old 2006 Lexus ES300, when I was going downhill and I lightly stepped on the brake for a second or two, I could actually feel something kick in to further decelerate the car--a light jolt if you will. But in the 2010 Lexus ES350, I cannot tell if the Brake Assist is ever engaged. How does one test Brake Assist in the 2010 ES350?

my understanding of brake assist systems is that they help you brake when trying to stop super quick

never tried it, but to check it out, I would imagine you would have to brake real quick and hard, and see if you can feel the brake assist system kick in to stop you quicker then you would be able to do on your own

you got me curious..without locking um up like some maniac,lol, I'll give it a try to see if I can feel the system kick in

my understanding of brake assist systems is that they help you brake when trying to stop super quick

never tried it, but to check it out, I would imagine you would have to brake real quick and hard, and see if you can feel the brake assist system kick in to stop you quicker then you would be able to do on your own

you got me curious..without locking um up like some maniac,lol, I'll give it a try to see if I can feel the system kick in

So...? Did you give it a try to see if you can feel the system kick in?

saw your note here and it reminded me to try it out

tried it a few times today, and could not notice any "brake assist" when braking fast

perhaps the system kicked in and I just didnt notice it

perhaps the circumstances have to be different, then just braking hard, to activate the system, though I have no idea what that scenerio would be or what value it would have..seems to me that trying to stop fast should do it

if fact, I posted here once that I thought the brakes were not as responsive as they should be with quick stops, and characterized the brake feel as "spongy"

most, if not all of the participants of that thread, disagreed with me, and said the braking feel was fine for quick stops

do you think they feel "spongy" for quick stops?

Never hit the brakes hard in the 3 years that I owned my 2008 ES. Hit em hard today. Wow! Stopped on a dime. Very impressed!

yeah, I agree that the stopping time is fine, was just complaining about the feel

not really an issue for me anymore, having the car for a bit now (10k+ miles)

tried it a few times today, and could not notice any "brake assist" when braking fast

perhaps the circumstances have to be different, then just braking hard, to activate the system, though I have no idea what that scenerio would be or what value it would have..seems to me that trying to stop fast should do it

if fact, I posted here once that I thought the brakes were not as responsive as they should be with quick stops, and characterized the brake feel as "spongy"

most, if not all of the participants of that thread, disagreed with me, and said the braking feel was fine for quick stops

Not sure about "spongy". Was just wondering where's the "assist" in brake assist? I don't feel anything. However, in my old 2006 ES330, I could. When I went down a hill and I tap the brake or press it down lightly, I could feel something kick in, like a mini jolt, and I could literally feel the car slowing down a bit more on my behalf. Not so in the 2010 ES350.

Not sure about "spongy". Was just wondering where's the "assist" in brake assist? I don't feel anything. However, in my old 2006 ES330, I could. When I went down a hill and I tap the brake or press it down lightly, I could feel something kick in, like a mini jolt, and I could literally feel the car slowing down a bit more on my behalf. Not so in the 2010 ES350.

pretty sure what you were feeling when you braked lightly going down hill, was the transmission down-shifting, not the brake assist

no idea how to test the brake assist..it might have kicked in when I tried the fast stops, but I definitely could not feel anything

Rob's correct. The brake assist detects a panic stop, and makes sure full braking pressure is applied when it detects that panic stop. Thats all it is. Only way to test it is to get to speed and SLAM on your brakes. Which...obviously isn't too great for your brakes.

What Tim is describing is not brake assist

Rob's correct. The brake assist detects a panic stop, and makes sure full braking pressure is applied when it detects that panic stop. Thats all it is. Only way to test it is to get to speed and SLAM on your brakes. Which...obviously isn't too great for your brakes.

What Tim is describing is not brake assist

I agree. The only way to really test this feature is with a sudden, hard, emergency/panic type of action. Even with that I'm not sure what extra stopping power you'd feel.