Altenator Fuse

tabathadamien

Hello everyone

my last question was about the altenator itself but now i thought i had the issue fixed and drove it for about four or five days and now the battery light is back on the issue was the altenator fuse and i believe it has blown again can anyone please tell me why the altenator fuse keeps blowing and what i can do to fix it?

Hello everyone

my last question was about the alternator itself but now i thought i had the issue fixed and drove it for about four or five days and now the battery light is back on the issue was the alternator fuse and i believe it has blown again can anyone please tell me why the alternator fuse keeps blowing and what i can do to fix it?

- Could be a bad battery with a dead cell or two causing the alternator to work too hard to try to recover it. Measure battery voltage with car not running at the terminal posts. Should be around 12- 12.5 VDC. Then turn on headlights with car not running and see what battery voltage is. Should drop a little but not more than a volt or two.

- Could be a faulty regulator on the alternator trying to overcharge the battery. Measure battery voltage with car running and nothing electrical turned on. Should be around 13.3 VDC.

Hello everyone

my last question was about the altenator itself but now i thought i had the issue fixed and drove it for about four or five days and now the battery light is back on the issue was the altenator fuse and i believe it has blown again can anyone please tell me why the altenator fuse keeps blowing and what i can do to fix it?

To what "alternator fuse" are you referring? The 120A fusible link?

Hello everyone

Yes the 120A orielly's said battery and altenator reading good! light is off now still please give some answers really could use some.

Check you battery cables to see if they are corroded, loose or smashed. They may need to be replaced. Poor connections will cause the alternator to go out more frequently. I am almost positive it has to do with your Lexus's battery.

Hello everyone

Yes the 120A orielly's said battery and altenator reading good! light is off now still please give some answers really could use some.

If the 120 amp fuse is getting blown, it is most likely a chafed (or nicked insulation) on the main wire from the alternator which is touching chassis ground on occasion. Or whoever installed an alternator did not get the main feed correctly centered and it may intermittently short to ground and take out the fuse.

Hello everyone

If the 120 amp fuse is getting blown, it is most likely a chafed (or nicked insulation) on the main wire from the alternator which is touching chassis ground on occasion. Or whoever installed an alternator did not get the main feed correctly centered and it may intermittently short to ground and take out the fuse.

Yes, intermittent SHORT on the alternator side of the fuse, maybe within the alternator itself. Alternators are not generally capable of putting out enough "juice" to blow this fuse.