Clunk!

waf102

1990 LS400 214k+ miles

I have noticed that during the past few months I have had a hard 'clunk' when putting the car into reverse after starting up (high idle).

If the car is warmed up (low idle) and I put it in reverse then it's smooth.

I do not have any detectable problems going into any other gears at high or low idle.

I drain and fill transmission oil (no flush!), only use T-IV, and have had the issue before and after the latest drain/fill. The level is correct.

So...Transmission issue? Worn support? Drive shaft/bearings?

(Yes, I looked at other postings, but didn't find same issue with same conditions.)

Thanks!

-Bill

P.S. Also...may not be connected...but...I also notice that occasionally the rear of the car feels like its going over a slightly rough road (best I can describe). It's very slight...and I do need new struts in the rear. Maybe I'm being over sensitive....

Sounds like it could be lose bearings or your drive train. Either way, not a problem worth letting get worse. Lexus or not, cars should not be making a "clunking" noise. I would take it into a Lexus dealer or shop before it gets more severe (aka more expensive).

Sounds like it could be lose bearings or your drive train. Either way, not a problem worth letting get worse. Lexus or not, cars should not be making a "clunking" noise. I would take it into a Lexus dealer or shop before it gets more severe (aka more expensive).

Bearings or drive train??? Could you put a finer point on it?

Bearings or drive train??? Could you put a finer point on it?

Could be U-Joints in the drive axle. They wear over time and can get sloppy. I would also check engine and transmission mounts. The rubber breaks down on those and the engine might not be held in place as firmly as it once was.