Rx 300 Control Arm Replacement

TheHounds

Hi Folks,

I'm replacing the front struts on a '99 RX 300 and figured while I have it apart, I might as well replace the control arms, bushings & ball joints. My Haynes manual indicates I need to remove the transverse engine mount at the sub frame to get at the front mounting bolts & requires a lifting hoist or support fixture for the engine. Has anyone done this? I'm a bit leery about removing the mount but if you have some guidance that it isn't so hard and how to secure the engine, I might have at it.

Thank you!

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks,

I'm replacing the front struts on a '99 RX 300 and figured while I have it apart, I might as well replace the control arms, bushings & ball joints. My Haynes manual indicates I need to remove the transverse engine mount at the sub frame to get at the front mounting bolts & requires a lifting hoist or support fixture for the engine. Has anyone done this? I'm a bit leery about removing the mount but if you have some guidance that it isn't so hard and how to secure the engine, I might have at it.

Thank you!

The control arm bushings, ball joint and control arm itself are one complete unit. Removing ball joints from an aluminum control arm without breaking the end off in the process is why it's a single unit.

The engine must be supported otherwise you face hours of constantly moving a 600 pound+ engine another sixteenth of an inch to get the engine mounts' bolt holes to line up after the control arms are replaced. There is an apparatus that looks similar to a sawhorse with the four legs sitting on the shelf where the hood closes onto above the fender. A small winch in the center is attached to 2 places on the engine so it can be raised/lowered and tilted during installation.

Typical life expectancy of lower control arms, ball joints and related bushings is about 300k miles IF the bushings havent been saturated with oil/transmission or power steering fluid for...years.

If you're dealing with a small rattle over the slightest road bumps after your struts have been replaced, then replace the stabilizer links; 2 in front and 2 in the rear.

It amazes me the amount of techs that diagnose a rattle with some struts when it's the stabilizer links that are really the cause of the noise.

Good luck!

I replaced the Control Arms with ball joints on my RX300....You dont have to remove the engine cradle...The bolts are a pain in the b..t to remove, just want to warn you. By the way the 1998 Control arms from the Toyota Camry are a direct fit. and at less than half price. I and others on the CL site can confirm this. The control does have a mounting plate on it that is not used by the RX300 but otherwise construction and diminsions are identical. You can order from Rock.....com and get the arms and ball joints all in one part. The Lexus part is around $300 apiece but the Toyota Camry control arm with balljoints was around $100 to !20 cant quite remember....It is a huge jobe as you have to disconnect the Shock tower from the steering hub etc. Good luck...

see this thread from CL site:

http://www.clublexus...-arm-plate.html

just looked at price an aftermarket can be had with ball joint for less than $80 and listed for the RX300......