Which Oil Filter

skyview

90915-20004 is the part for the oem filter for LS

unfortuneately the -20004 filter was discontinued in Dec 2003 and supplies have been pretty much exhausted.

The replacement filter is -YZZD3 and is now produced in Thailand.

Mobil 1 filters are as good as the extinct -20004 filters. It is too early to tell if the -YZZD3 filters are as good or better than the -20004 filters.

steviej

Thanks LS400 for that tidbit. I'll have to check on that. I use Mobil 1 and have always used a Fram XG filter, though I can't recall the number offhand. They have them at Pep Boys but they are $10 each.

VBDenny,

Whoops, what I meant to say was to ask a Toyota parts department for the same oil filter that is used on V8 Landcruisers - although they might know that it is the same as used on the LX450 and LX470. That is what I have used on my 90 and 00 LS.

Sorry,

Jim

May interest someone to see what the inside of a Toyota oil filter looks

[looked???] like; even compared to a Mobil 1 filter.

AND THEY STOPPED MAKING IT ????????? Would someone cut open the replacement and post pixs plse.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/

My understanding is that the filters sold at Toyota dealers for use on V8 Landcruisers have always been the same as the ones sold at Lexus dealers for use on the LS. The only difference seems to be that my local Lexus dealer wants three times more money for the same product than does the Toyota dealer.

When I first purchased an LS in 1990 and for quite a while after that, the oil filters sold at Lexus dealers only had "Lexus" printed on both the filter and the boxes they came in. Lexus no longer seems to hide the fact that filters and other components are used on both Toyota and Lexus cars -- probably because of the costs associated with maintaining a duel inventory.

Lexus no longer seems to hide the fact that filters and other components are used on both Toyota and Lexus cars -- probably because of the costs associated with maintaining a duel inventory.

I agree!

A box for my cabin filter is labelled "toyota genuine parts" all over it.....

the mailing label is FROM: TOYOTA MOTOR SALES

TO: SUPERIOR LEXUS

You are right on the money......(that is - more money if you buy from Lexus)

• 6 months later...
I use original toyota filters , Always have and always will .:cheers:

That's the ticket for me too. If the factory sells them, they must approve them, and that's good enough for me. They really aren't all that much more expensive than the aftermarket filters, and at the cost of normal repairs for these cars, what is another $3.00 anyways?