Can I Claybar A 'protected' Paintwork?

Hi all

Bought a used 2007 rx 350 which has the paint protection on there from original owner.

I don't feel the paint is as deep looking as it could be after washing and polishing.

would it help to run claybar over it, or will it make no difference to a paint-protected paint? Or worse still, could it make a mess od the protection and hence the finish?

i had good results with clay on my previous car...

Thank you

P.s. Couldnt get much advice from the paint protection company!

The paint protection offered by the dealer is a total joke, it's simply wax which wears away in a few months after it's applied.

Are you referring to the 3M clear bra?

If you rub your hand over the paint, does the surface feel like sandpaper? Or is it smooth? A clay-bar is only used if it feels like sandpaper, as it's used to remove baked on dirt etc. It doesn't polish the paint in any way.

I'd simply use a good glaze and wax, such as 3M's hand glaze and Collinite's insulator wax. <_<

Hi

The protection on my car must be the spray-on type. I fully agree with you that it's a waste of money, and never got it on any of my new cars (only on this used one)!

The surface feels pretty smooth, but just not as 'expensive' looking as I'd expect Lexus paint to look.

I might take the clay to a section of it to test. And then polish.

I've used Zaino polish before, and now switched to Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0

Also thinking of getting a random-orbital sander/polisher to do the buffing as my old shoulders are getting too sore

:)

Yeah, claying a smooth surface won't do a damn thing unfortunately. All it does is lift caked on particles such as dirt, overspray, etc... If you can't "feel" it, it won't be removed. Claying in no way shape or form will add luster or depth to paint.

Just use a good glaze and wax, as these products add shine and depth to the paint. <_<

And i wouldn't use a mechanical orbital or a such like machine to glaze and wax the paint. If you can't "feel" any roughness on the paint, or unless you're using a compound, it'll be of no use. Machine polishing is good if you have a non-clearcoated paint or if you're using a compound to smooth the finish out.

Neither glaze or wax require ANY aggressive movement by the applicator. They simply leave thin coatings of the stuff on the paint to fill in any swirls and add depth to the paint. The more the applicator is rubbed, the less amount of glaze and wax will remain on the paint. <_< If you do one panel at a time by hand it'll work OK.

• 1 month later...

But claying is an important part of any detailing process, whether it adds luster or depth or not.

I also personally disagree about not using a polisher to glaze or apply wax. It all depends on the type of pad used. Oftentimes I will use a polishing pad and a fine polish (I don't care for glazes), just the action of the pad is enough to smooth out light swirls or scratches. Using a finishing pad on low speed also can help make applying glazes or waxes a much easier job.