Chrome Grill For 2006-2009 Lexus Es350

tansupplyman

Hold off until I test this for a while--I prefer a thicker mylar tape than I got; it is real thin. In mean time will look for thicker tape. Has anyone used the grill strips sold on eBay?? I used them on my old LS400 and they were super(lasted for years), but not sure how they would fit on the ES. Or if anyone knows of a source of a thick mylar chrome tape, send me a message.

I will be taking this off; not sticking good. Will be installing the Chrome strips avail. on eBay. Had bought strips for the LS400 but transmission went out and I had to buy the ES, so checked those and they will fit with several left over. Purchase was to replace the ones I had used for about 10 years sucessfully. SO: Do not use tape for this purpose.

After 2 months of use and several power car washes the tape is still very good with NO problem. I did install the eBay strips on the continous top bar and bottom bar. I am extremely happy with the installation so my concern was for naught.

Edited by tansupplyman

I will be taking this off; not sticking good. Will be installing the Chrome strips avail. on eBay. Had bought strips for the LS400 but transmission went out and I had to buy the ES, so checked those and they will fit with several left over. Purchase was to replace the ones I had used for about 10 years sucessfully. SO: Do not use tape for this purpose.

not a fan of chrome..one of the things I wish was different on my es is the chrome door handles

would look better,imo of course, if the handles were the same color as the car like on the GS, and many of the es competitors

anyone agree with that, or I'm on my own here,lol?

I like the chrome handles. The sportier sedans have body colored handles, the GS & IS, the more luxurious models have the chrome handles, the ES and LS.

I think it all goes back to you buying the wrong car ;)

lol, hmmmm, perhaps you are right

but I'm gonna still disagree here...don't think the chrome makes it more of a luxary look, just different, and a matter of taste

would anyone here like their es look better with car colored door handles, or all on in favor of the chrome??

afterall, I think the GS has a similar luxary look, yet it has the colored handles..you certainly don't look at the GS, and think sport car, even though it's performance is pretty impressive relative to the es

Count me as in favor of the chrome for this car. I also like the chrome strip that was added to the door bottoms for 2010. Those two elements brighten up the overall look of the car. In other models I prefer a more monochromatic look. Depends on the car. All IMHO of course.

Are you using the very thin (like aluminum foil thin) chrome tape? If so, are you having dust problems? I've used this stuff before on various applications and if ever a piece of dust got under the tape, you'd see a little spec as the chrome would raise over the dust like a little mountain.

I'd say the thicker the chrome tape the better as it'll better hide these imperfections. However as the thickness of the tape increases, its sticking ability decreases. :wacko:

i really like the chrome look. I love how Lexus added chrome handles to the RX for the 08 and 09 model years; looks much better IMO.

but I'm gonna still disagree here...don't think the chrome makes it more of a luxary look, just different, and a matter of taste

would anyone here like their es look better with car colored door handles, or all on in favor of the chrome??

afterall, I think the GS has a similar luxary look, yet it has the colored handles..you certainly don't look at the GS, and think sport car, even though it's performance is pretty impressive relative to the es

I'm not talking about taste, I'm just saying in general car designers REMOVE chrome when a vehicle is supposed to be sportier, and ADD chrome when its supposed to be more luxurious. Look at a sports car...no chrome. Look at the M series BMWs and the AMG Benzes, in many cases they have shadowline trim that removes the chrome.

Sure the GS is a luxurious looking car, but it is designed to be a sport sedan, same as the IS. They have less chrome than the ES and LS which are designed to be more luxurious than sporty.

I'm not talking about taste, I'm just saying in general car designers REMOVE chrome when a vehicle is supposed to be sportier, and ADD chrome when its supposed to be more luxurious. Look at a sports car...no chrome. Look at the M series BMWs and the AMG Benzes, in many cases they have shadowline trim that removes the chrome.

Sure the GS is a luxurious looking car, but it is designed to be a sport sedan, same as the IS. They have less chrome than the ES and LS which are designed to be more luxurious than sporty.

perhaps that is the current trend, or just the case with the examples you cited

but it IS a matter of taste...there is no question there

there is a huge chrome parts market for pure sports cars..it is most noticeable with wheels, but there are tons of other chrome parts made just for sports cars..some people go crazy adding to chrome to their sports cars..same with motorcycles where perhaps it is even more obvious

I don't like it, and much prefer the look they went for on the types of cars you mentioned, but it is just a look that is not tied to the type of car, but just a matter of taste

please concede the point in your next reply as you are obviously wrong, lol

there is a huge chrome parts market for pure sports cars..it is most noticeable with wheels, but there are tons of other chrome parts made just for sports cars..some people go crazy adding to chrome to their sports cars..same with motorcycles where perhaps it is even more obvious

I don't like it, and much prefer the look they went for on the types of cars you mentioned, but it is just a look that is not tied to the type of car, but just a matter of taste

I'm actually not wrong, I've been driving luxury cars and been a luxury car enthusiast for a LONG time, I have watched very closely how these styling trends go, and the "sportier" the model is supposed to be, the less chrome the designer puts into the design. Been this way for years. I'm not saying whether its a good or bad thing, which is why its not a matter of taste, but it IS the way manufacturers style vehicles.

All you have to do is look at the cars within a manufacturer's lineup to see that the "sportier" models have less chrome. Look at the DTS Cadillac vs the CTS. Look at the 7 series vs the 3 series BMW, look at the M5 vs a 535i. Look at a CLK Mercedes vs a S class. Look at a Rolls Royce vs a Bentley. Even more downmarket, look at the Ford Edge, the "Sport" model replaces all the chrome with matte black trim.

In general styling trends have been moving away from chrome, but you do see it making a little bit of a comeback. Aftermarket is meaningless, I'm talking about how MANUFACTURERS style their models.

Personally I like chrome on a car, THAT is a matter of taste but the statement that sportier cars in general have less chrome than more luxury minded cars isn't a "matter of taste", just look at the cars a carmaker puts on the market...

I'm actually not wrong, I've been driving luxury cars and been a luxury car enthusiast for a LONG time, I have watched very closely how these styling trends go, and the "sportier" the model is supposed to be, the less chrome the designer puts into the design. Been this way for years. I'm not saying whether its a good or bad thing, which is why its not a matter of taste, but it IS the way manufacturers style vehicles.

All you have to do is look at the cars within a manufacturer's lineup to see that the "sportier" models have less chrome. Look at the DTS Cadillac vs the CTS. Look at the 7 series vs the 3 series BMW, look at the M5 vs a 535i. Look at a CLK Mercedes vs a S class. Look at a Rolls Royce vs a Bentley. Even more downmarket, look at the Ford Edge, the "Sport" model replaces all the chrome with matte black trim.

In general styling trends have been moving away from chrome, but you do see it making a little bit of a comeback. Aftermarket is meaningless, I'm talking about how MANUFACTURERS style their models.

Personally I like chrome on a car, THAT is a matter of taste but the statement that sportier cars in general have less chrome than more luxury minded cars isn't a "matter of taste", just look at the cars a carmaker puts on the market...

I conceded in sentence one of my post that that might be the current trend with car makers

my point was that chrome, whether on a luxury, or sport car, is JUST a matter of taste, and I cite the large chrome after market parts business for sports cars, as proof that chrome is popular on sports cars regardless the manufacturers design trends

perhaps we are in agreement, eh?

I conceded in sentence one of my post that that might be the current trend with car makers

my point was that chrome, whether on a luxury, or sport car, is JUST a matter of taste, and I cite the large chrome after market parts business for sports cars, as proof that chrome is popular on sports cars regardless the manufacturers design trends

Actually, i don't think aftermarket chrome parts are as popular as they used to be. Take chrome rims... are they really a big deal anymore?

Actually, i don't think aftermarket chrome parts are as popular as they used to be. Take chrome rims... are they really a big deal anymore?

yeah, I think so..anecdotal evidence, but I still see a lot of them

Its not just the current trend, its been the styling trend for a LONG time...

and I cite the large chrome after market parts business for sports cars, as proof that chrome is popular on sports cars regardless the manufacturers design trends

Like I said, what is available in the aftermarket has nothing to do with manufacturer's design trends...which is the whole topic of this discussion...

Anyways I have to agree with cduluk, I hardly ever see chrome wheels on cars anymore. I think its a regional thing...

Can any body join in?

IMHO Steve is right about chrome wheels and the popularity of aftermarket chrome. It is my experience that it truly is a regional thing. Here in Des Moines you still see plenty of chrome wheels, but fewer than a year or two ago. Mostly because manufacturers are pushing more non-chrome and coastal trends are getting here. Traveling to Florida, Virgina, California, you see very little chrome.

Regarding the chrome trim on new cars, I think you miss the point Rob that SW made. What a manufacturer designs for a cars appearance is designed to make it attractive to the buyer. It is based on their sense of taste not yours per Se. What you think of that appearance is your sense of taste. They are two separate things.

As for my 2010 ES, I like the chrome handles and the added trim piece along the bottom of the doors.

let me go at it another way

for those of you who prefer the chrome on the es (everybody but me apparently,lol),

would you like chrome on your car if it was a sportier model, or on board with car makers that it would not be aesthetically pleasing there?

My chrome preference varies from car to car. Some vehicles look better with it and some better without.

Paul A. (above) makes some very good points on the "chrome issue". Eventually most car makers will follow certain current styling trends with chrome being one of them. IMO the 2010 and up ES350 looks better with the chrome handles and lower door trim (as well as the additional interior chrome accents). Just seems to suit the car well. Maybe when the new gen comes out in 2013(?) it will be a different story chrome-wise.

Apparently these sports sedan manufacturers came to the conclusion that modern (sports sedan) buyers don't like as much chrome. Why else would they be making cars without it? I doubt it saves "that" much money.

It's just a trend i guess... I don't particularly like it, but evidently others do or else the cars wouldn't be selling!

Apparently these sports sedan manufacturers came to the conclusion that modern (sports sedan) buyers don't like as much chrome. Why else would they be making cars without it? I doubt it saves "that" much money.

It's just a trend i guess... I don't particularly like it, but evidently others do or else the cars wouldn't be selling!

hard to find the right adjective, but I think cars in general look better with "simple" designs and minimal bling, like chrome, etc., wether luxury or sport

I have always thought that beemers are the best looking cars hands down..simple, but nice design styles, no goofy ornaments

they just look good

guess it is hard to debate taste, though I sure we will continue to do so,lol

Changed the top and bottom full-length bars from the tape to the chrome extruded pieces avail on eBay (had a set of LS400 unused). Worked fine; shapes at ends real well. Note that the grill kits will not fit well abuting the Lexus center logo; they are too thick and would stick up above the circle; the tape fits flat and it looks stock. I am extremely happy the way it did.

Did anchor the outer ends of the tape with clear Goop under the grill surround edge as a safety measure. Now the 2008 looks almost like the later models which as I recall have chrome grill bars. The 2011 has even thicker chrome bars, so someone thinks chrome is the way to go.

Have gone thru several power pressure car washes with out a problem, plus I have about 25+ feet left on the tape roll if I ever need more.

I walked into that one !!! Shows you that I sure don't hang-out at a Lexus Dealer; all I see are photos. Well,since it is paint then it should be chrome tape--much better than paint--'plastic'~~~heck, folks are covering their entire front ends in the clear stuff for durability.

But the silver looks to me better than the grey or is it gray (whatever) paint and bars APPEAR to look bigger in the photos; maybe it is the angles.